PDA

View Full Version : stock 50 setup

ncswelch
11-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on setting up a DRR 50. I bought it in the spring from a guy who's son raced flat track on it. It is very fast on the top end but has no low end. We race mx on it end need some more torque. I have played with the clutch and sprockets but can't seem to get any low end out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Nichols Atvs
11-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Need to know everything u have sprocket sizes front and back, springs weight small and large, belt size , roller weight , and what u have for motor work before any one will chime in .

ncswelch
11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I will have to do some research, all I am sure about is large spring weight and roller weights. This is my first experience with a DRR. Older son rides a Honda and they are obviously night and day.

rmuscle
11-17-2009, 01:52 PM
also what year is it . some 2008 came with high sped tranny gears , and with out the right spockets to match it will be a dog on low end , we had this problem with our 70

EthansDad
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
yup, would be best to know what you have now, and what if any upgrades on motor. Just as a ball park reference, I'll post some stuff below, or you can search and find others posts. Generally, these type of threads turn up a fact that everyone has an opinion on this sort of thing.

Really, it is bike, track and rider dependent so getting it all to work is a fine tuning art for sure. getting in the ball park, however should be fairly straight forward.

----------------
Rollers - 3.5G

Torque spring (large rear) - 2000 Malossi or brand of choice "lighter" spring. could be a ZTR 1000, or another brands 1500

Belt - 780 - can find other opinions on belt size, it does change things. We've had good luck with the 780.

Clutch shoe springs (the three little springs in the rear bell) - 2k - will increase stall rpms giving a bit better take off

Final gearing - 19/35T works good - some will say with a bigger motor, you can drop the ratio, which is true. however, in our tests with a good motor, this lower gearing pulls very well in motorcross on the bottom without giving up top speed.

Good luck!

ncswelch
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your input. The year of the quad is 2006. The only motor work I believe to have been done is it has been ported and polished by Chris Grissom. I think that the roller weights are 4 and the torsion spring is a 1500.

bulldogfallon
11-20-2009, 04:55 AM
For MX we use(Grissom Ported)

19x33 sprocketing
Red Malossi Torque Spring
782 Belt
Clutch engagement around 6200 (whls start to roll, on the ground no rider on it)
3.75 gram rollers

There are other guys using the Yellow Malossi with 3.25 to 3.5 gram rollers as well.

But our set up worls best for us

What carb do you have on the machine?

You may also want to check your tranny gear ratio :
Mark bell and sprocket and check how many rotations to turn the other one once should be 7:1 or 9:1 if I rememeber correctly.

rmuscle
11-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
For MX we use(Grissom Ported)

19x33 sprocketing
Red Malossi Torque Spring
782 Belt
Clutch engagement around 6200 (whls start to roll, on the ground no rider on it)
3.75 gram rollers

There are other guys using the Yellow Malossi with 3.25 to 3.5 gram rollers as well.

But our set up worls best for us

What carb do you have on the machine?

You may also want to check your tranny gear ratio :
Mark bell and sprocket and check how many rotations to turn the other one once should be 7:1 or 9:1 if I rememeber correctly. hey gary you run bigger tires with that sprocket set up ?

bulldogfallon
11-20-2009, 05:43 AM
18" Snow Pigs

ncswelch
11-20-2009, 06:38 AM
The carb is stock and we have 18" snow hogs on it