PDA

View Full Version : What Mods Should I Start With?

robertwarreniii
11-17-2009, 05:30 AM
I just bought a '05 450r, completely stock. I want to add some performance mods. I was wondering what you guys recommend starting with to get the most bang for my buck. I was thinking along the lines of a new pipe or maybe a whole new exhaust system all together, a K&N air filter, and a jet kit/ignition module kit. I also would like to get some nerf bars for it. I was leaning towards the Pro Armor XC. Any suggestions would be awesome.

HoleshotR15
11-17-2009, 06:18 AM
I would say get an exhaust to start, open the airbox lid and re jet, IMO get a UNI filter. Depending on what riding you do would determine my next mod.. IF your going MX I would say work on suspension and width. OR your an XC guy go w. a steering stabilizer, some skid plates or sprocket guard/ Rotor guard.

Balaz_73*00
11-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Pipe/filter/cam IMO

Ruf Racing
11-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Pipe/filter/cam IMO

^^ Agreed^^ All three of these at once. This will last you a
month. :D (You'll want more) Then you have to port the head.

DEVINF450R
11-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Intake, pipe and Porting... u can call Titan Motorworks. I was able to do 3rd gear holeshots with stock gearing after they did my motor.

300racer
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by HoleshotR15
I would say get an exhaust to start, open the airbox lid and re jet, IMO get a UNI filter. Depending on what riding you do would determine my next mod.. IF your going MX I would say work on suspension and width. OR your an XC guy go w. a steering stabilizer, some skid plates or sprocket guard/ Rotor guard.
i agree with this but would add revaved stock shocks to the xc part if you have the money. just get a slip on exhaust full system really isn't that much diff. i would not tear into the motor to much stock is the way to go. i have had 2 big bore motors and they lasted about a year i have had a stock motor last for 3 years and thats when i first got a quad and did little to maintain the the motor.

11-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
Intake, pipe and Porting... u can call Titan Motorworks. I was able to do 3rd gear holeshots with stock gearing after they did my motor.

Im sorry... a 3rd gear holeshot? im saying "bs" unless you slip the clutch like crazy. or maybe if you were running 12/41 gearing would this happen. i have had DASA, Baldwin, rage and sparks do motors for me and not one of them could do a 3rd gear start with stock gearing.

im callin your bluff.

im not saying that titan dude cant build good motors but i dont think they are that good.

Ruf Racing
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 300racer
i would not tear into the motor to much stock is the way to go. i have had 2 big bore motors and they lasted about a year i have had a stock motor last for 3 years and thats when i first got a quad and did little to maintain the the motor.

I understand your theory. I've run both stock and bored and
stroked engines. But I would rather ride a bored and stroked
engine for a year:macho, than a stock engine for ever. IMO. :)

Sjorge450R
11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
I understand your theory. I've run both stock and bored and
stroked engines. But I would rather ride a bored and stroked
engine for a year:macho, than a stock engine for ever. IMO. :)

thats what a racer would say, but the weekend warrior wants something that lasts. Me on the other hand. I used to race a lot and I put quite a few races on my R. About 25 actually. My motor internally is stock with the exception of a 03 CRF cam. I run a rossier pipe with a open box with UNI filter. Thats it. Its on 05, bought in 06 and its still going good three years later.

86250rrider
11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
i run a 11.5 piston, crf cam,open lid,needle,hmf slip-on and it runs hard. im very pleased with it. 14/40 gearing. even runs good with my 22 " rocky trail tires. on 20,s ,it rips

Ruf Racing
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
thats what a racer would say, but the weekend warrior wants something that lasts. Me on the other hand. I used to race a lot and I put quite a few races on my R. About 25 actually. My motor internally is stock with the exception of a 03 CRF cam. I run a rossier pipe with a open box with UNI filter. Thats it. Its on 05, bought in 06 and its still going good three years later.

Oh, on the contrary, I am that weekend warrior. No racing. I would get use to the power I had. Always wanting more, yes it
can get expensive. I just include that expense in my yearly budget.
;)

300racer
11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
if your going with xc set up there isn't any reason for a big bore! i race xc and run a class and don't have a problem keeping up. the big bores are nice cause the one i owned you could really lug it and when you hit the throtle the torque was crazy but why would you want to spend 7-$800 on a big bore when you can go just as fast on a stock motor with an hrc kit?
borich when he was on his honda he ran a stock 450r motor with hrc cam and then he switched to a curtis sparks head when the track was more open.

now for mx you might want a big bore. (i don't know not a mx'er) i ride at a local mx track and can clear the jumps but i have noticed that there are some mx quads the can slide around the bottom of a corner and still clear the jump i have to rail around the top to clear.

11-18-2009, 12:06 AM
I think these damn things need better suspension lol. Maybe good for MX being stock but damn you ride woods and it whoops ya. The rear spring rate is crazy. Over whoops though I can really haul some arse because its so stiff it will soak up the big bumps going fast. Do suspension and handling 1st.

tinman121
11-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Ok I agree. I have an 06. What do I buy for suspension/handling? $3000 budget.

450rtt
12-02-2014, 01:24 PM
definitely get some suspension before anything, the 400's are awesome with some shocks like axis or some rebuilt 450r fronts and a rebuilt rear. i recommend suspension before anything.

dyno
12-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Oiled foam filter(never run K&N unless you want to ruin your engine) Hrc or st2 Hotcam, full exhaust, 185 main with HRC lid, HRC needle!

IMSROLL450R
12-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Please look at the date from the original post.....