PDA

View Full Version : basic plumbing question

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Alright, I only spend about 10 minutes f'ing with things til I ask advice. I put all new faucets in my house, go figure...got to the very last one, hooked it up, took a shower while I was laying underneath the sink when I kicked the water back on, busted a coupler on the faucet supply line and started spraying on me.

So I bought a new steel flex hose to replace the crappy plasticky ones. Unhooked it from the faucet, went to unhook it from the shut off valve, figured it just screwed on and off but it just spins. Can't seem to get the damn thing off and can't figure out what is holding it in place...advice?

Thanks.

T_Bag
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
In my experience they usually just unscrew. Did you try the the other one and see if it unscrews?

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Definately does not unscrew.

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Man it's hard to say without a pic. What kind of fitting is it?

T_Bag
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I was just going to suggest putting up a pic.

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM

T_Bag
11-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I have never seen a shut off valve like that before. Is that whole thing plastic? by the looks of your right it doesn't unscrew. Sorry couldn't be more help.

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, it's what beazer and all the big contractor have been using cause they can shave a nickle off their expenses. Sooo annoying. I'd like to pry on it a little but I have a feeling that flimsy little thing might just break off and then I would have a real problem...

There has to be a way to do this...

11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Those might be one piece. Id suggest shutting water off in the house. get a bucket to catch the water. go buy a nice brass valve. Make sure its brass handle and not the plastic cause we seen those break and leak, Sweat that on the copper pipe and be set.

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
It looks like it was a slip on fitting and they used a crimping tool to crimp it on.
You may have to replace the whole valve. Try to cut the brass collar off if you can and see if it will slip off.
It may be better to replace the valve.

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Just talked with lowes, they said there is a slip ring on it, pull it and then it slides off. Still can't find the ring though. And it is not grooved so my new flex steel line wont go on to it. Called a guy I used to work construction for said he'd be over tomorrow to put on a new shut off valve. Hope that little plastic pos can hold out the night cause I can't really shut off the main all night. Ill get the buckets ready....