PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Change

nastynotchback1
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
i have been playing with the clutching and took some suggestions from this site,

i have 2000 shoe springs
1500 ztr spring
4.0 rollers

everything wroks good but it never revs out all the way.just revs so far and thats it.it will work great like it it is off the gate and through the turns but any long straights and it will not ever get to top speed.what should i change from here?

i have a cvt cover coming that i will use to set-up clutching but it's not here yet.thanks

JAG Motosports
11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
How's the belt travel? If you are getting close to full travel use a smaller spocket on the rear. If belt travel isn't close then add roller weight, my first guess is 4.5, but trial and error will tell you. Hope it helps.

nastynotchback1
11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
How's the belt travel? If you are getting close to full travel use a smaller spocket on the rear. If belt travel isn't close then add roller weight, my first guess is 4.5, but trial and error will tell you. Hope it helps.

how far up should the belt trave?thanks

JAG Motosports
11-16-2009, 07:58 PM
3/8 or less is good. You can also search....Gary has posted some real good info on the cvt set-up. Belt travel isn't always King to achieve good results.

Logan #34's Dad
11-16-2009, 09:06 PM
What are you running for a pipe. All pipes are not created equal. I ran a Koso pipe that just would not let it rev, then changed it and kept the same clutching and it reved to the moon.

nastynotchback1
11-17-2009, 05:43 AM
I installed an apex pipe last week.Run well with just a pipe change.Had awsome take off and top end but if you let off making turns it would struggle to pull for about 20ft.I am going to mark and check belt travel today and see what happens

LT80
11-17-2009, 08:13 AM
"if you let off making turns it would struggle to pull for about 20ft"
To me this indicates too heavy of shoe springs in the rear clutch. Possibly allowing the shoes to slip too much which will cause heat which will make the torque spring pancake doing just what you explained (bog out of the turns).
You didn't mention what else was done to the motor but unless you have a highly modified motor, big springs are not needed, and a pipe alone surely wouldn't need them.
I do agree that belt travel/roller weight is a important aspect of all this also. It sounds like too light of rollers but the belt travel will guide you on that.

nastynotchback1
11-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry for not posting what was done to it.I know better being a long time member to this site.

stock 70cc with carbon reeds.stock intake and carb with unifilter.has apex pipe.stock gearing with 16in snowhogs

i am going to check belt travel later today and let yall know what i find.I feel like the rollers are to blame also but i am not 100% sure of myself just yet because i am new to cvt racin.

nastynotchback1
11-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by LT80
"if you let off making turns it would struggle to pull for about 20ft"
To me this indicates too heavy of shoe springs in the rear clutch. Possibly allowing the shoes to slip too much which will cause heat which will make the torque spring pancake doing just what you explained (bog out of the turns).
You didn't mention what else was done to the motor but unless you have a highly modified motor, big springs are not needed, and a pipe alone surely wouldn't need them.
I do agree that belt travel/roller weight is a important aspect of all this also. It sounds like too light of rollers but the belt travel will guide you on that.

in that fourm it had 1500 shoe springs and 2000 ztr torque spring.i have reversed it now with 2000 shoe and 1500 ztr.

nastynotchback1
11-17-2009, 12:42 PM
GOT BELT TRAVEL UP TO 1/4 IN LEFT.IT THINK THATS GOOD FROM READING AROUND BUT CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.THANKS