View Full Version : winter tires for 400ex

sportbikeridr
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
need everyones input here ... what would the best snow tire be for my 400ex ? i came across these.. Maxxis M910 4Snow ATV Tire .. they say these will work for snow , but what else is out there that my work ? i dont want a heavy tire , hence it would be like peeeing in the wind ..

IcutMetl
11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
I tell ya what, I have been wondering the same thing about my 250R. From all the research I've done, it seems that the Maxxis 4-Snow (or similar) ARE the top choice for the snow. They are light (2ply), and seem to have a tread pattern that unlike a paddle tire which clogs easily in packed snow, keeps clawing along. I wish they came in a 20", but then again...ground clearance definitely helps in the winter. So a set of these on some .125" rims and a -1 tooth sprocket in the front might be the winter ticket.

When I had my 400ex, I found that the stock tires did well. I could still get around alright with the Holeshot XCR's I put on there, but there was a LOT more spinning involved. Don't think there's such a thing as dirt-like traction in the snow- it has to be a compromise.

witech
11-17-2009, 12:37 PM
The best rear tire for snow is the biggest Ohstu prowedge you can find . They are the lightest ,longest lasting ,best ttraction tire ever made for snow and snow trails. Second choices would be zippers or 4 snows . They are nowhere near as durable as the prowedge but may be a few bucks cheaper. We have been running trails in Wisconsin and put around 1000 to 3000 miles a year on our winter quads. The other nice thing about all 3 of the snow tires is they also work great in sand . Not quite as good as a dedicated sand paddle but darn close. You can run them forwards or backwards depending on traction and steering grip. Run about 1/2 to 1.5 pounds of air in them for max floatation. More pressure for hardpack and rough trails. All of these tires have at least twice as much traction as a new set of knobbies and wont rut up and rip the crap out of the trail like knobbies do. They are basically sled treads. If you run prowedges backwards on you can also do wheelies on nearly glare ice.