PDA

View Full Version : apartments?

flammable
11-16-2009, 12:23 PM
who here lives in an apartment?
do u like it / hate it?
why do u hate / like it?
what do u pay and what do u get (rooms, baths, utilities) (if u dnt mind me askin)?
any tips?
things to ask about before getting one?
me and my girlfriend of 2 and a half years are looking to get one, ive already lived at her house for 8 months and she lived at mine for 6 so we know that will work, i kno the whole me goin from living on the power lines and sand pits and 1,000s of acres to nothing to ride on will be hard but what else is there

and well both be 20 in january

thanks

tri5ron
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
1000's of acres, ????
is this by chance owned by your parents ???

if so, ask your parents to sell you a 5 or 10 acre piece of it to build yourself a house on.
Pros-
your money isn't getting wasted on rent
your parents get a little something for raising such a fine young man
your current girlfriend helps pay for the land, if you get married, it's half hers, if she splits.... it's not!
mom's home cooking is not far away

con's-
your mom and girlfriend will join forces, and you will lose every argument.
your mom threatens to kick you out, and keep her
your mom will convince your girlfriend that she she needs to have grandkids as soon as possible
your mom will be sitting on your couch each time you come home
your mom will be worried that she heard strange noises at your house in the night and come investigating
your mom ...
your mom ...
your mom ...

Your right, you need an apartment !
:D :D :D

derekhonda
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Apartments are great, loved mine while I was in college. The only problem I really had was noisy neighbors but we got noisy ourselves sometimes too, just real close quarters.

One of the things to check into, we paid 1500 a month for a 4 bedroom, which isn't real bad for a college campus and a 3 year old complex (everything was still very nice and new).
However, the one bedrooms, were like $650 bucks! 2 bedrooms 900.....

I just purchased my first house. My house payment is below that $650 I could be paying in rent. Expecially with that 8k tax credit, you might see how much pre approval money you could be loaned and start house shopping. Who knows.

jasonjonesjj
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I live in an apartment in Nashville. I'm not a fan of it at all. Seems like everyone is into your business. No privacy. It's a nice place but would much rather be in my own house out in the country. Had to move here for my work. I grew up on a dairy farm so it was a culture shock for sure. I rented a garage to keep quad and tools in but it's on the other side of the complex, so I gotta walk or mountain bike it back and forth. Plus it's an extra $70 per month for the garage and $25 per month for our dog. Rent is up over $800 now. And we have clean up our dogs sh*t with a plastic bag. Sucks.

Guy400
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I had an apartment in college and I loved the freedom. It's been 12 years but I paid $525/month, electric and water included. This was for a 900sf 2 bedroom off campus. The definite downside was there was only 1 covered garage bay for our apartment and the shared laundry. Our building had 4 units in it with a 1 washer and 1 dryer. Somebody was always leaving their wet clothes in the washer or their clothes in the dryer for hours without getting them. I started just piling them up outside and people started leaving notes to leave their clothes alone. I replied saying to not let them sit in the only washer in the building for hours at a time when others need to use it:o

For your situation I would definitely look at renting. I don't want to step on you or your girlfriend's toes but if you're not married and stable than purchasing a home together is a bad move. If the relationship suddenly goes south now you've got a house payment to try and settle.

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 02:12 PM
At least rent to own, you waste so much money renting.
Even if you two split up somewhere down the road, yes you will have to split it but at least you have something to split.

Think about all the people that have lost everything they own because some drunk fell asleep and set the complex on fire.

If you rent a house at least you may have a yard and or a garage to put your baby in. “The quad not the girl”.

Rent to own man, the only way to go.

11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I cant see spending so much money to rent if you dont HAVE to, Some areas where your job is that really is the best solution. But a rend2own and even a morgage e is really not far off from most rents these days. People i know spend 1500 on a small ****ty apartment? And that money gets put into nothing but getting you by that month. Good luck on what ever you decide.

NacsMXer
11-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
At least rent to own, you waste so much money renting.
Even if you two split up somewhere down the road, yes you will have to split it but at least you have something to split.

Think about all the people that have lost everything they own because some drunk fell asleep and set the complex on fire.

If you rent a house at least you may have a yard and or a garage to put your baby in. “The quad not the girl”.

Rent to own man, the only way to go.

Exactly. I've lived in an apartment when I was in college. I would only rent if was to be short term. Otherwise you're basically flushing your money down the toilet. I'd rather have a payment go towards ownership and have something to show for my hard earned money. If you are looking more long term I might consider townhomes or a rent to own scenario.

T_Bag
11-16-2009, 03:43 PM
My opinion on apartments is they suck. You have no privacy, no garage, noisy annoying neighbors, no driveway. My quad is in my parents garage and my boat is in there driveway. It's not only an inconvenience for me but my parents also. If you are going to rent, rent a house.

Rootar
11-16-2009, 03:58 PM
rent a house or something.

I have a good size 3 bedroom2 bath house with a 2 car carport with storage room on the end with plenty of parking for my trailer, truck, and car. plus a nice yeard Its only 2 blocks from my college and all my neighbors are professors..... did i mention its only $450 a month and with my girl friend and another friend living here its CHEAP for me, plus having your own washer/ dryer and peace and quiet is worth everything...

One_Bad_400
11-16-2009, 04:00 PM
as of right now me and my girl friend live alone in Arkansas on 5 acres with a track and a shop. we're thinking about moving back to Mississippi where our parents live and she's trying to get me to move into an appartment. i'm not looking forward to it. i will probably live with my mommy untill i'm out of collage. i have another shop at her house with thousands of acres behind the house.

Rootar
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
hey hunter i sent ya a message wondering where you were at here in arkansas.

One_Bad_400
11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
ah i see, PM returned:bandit:

Quad18star
11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I lived in an apartment with my fiance when we first met. We had a 2 bedroom with 1 bath. It would be considered more like a 1 bedroom with a computer room since the room had hardly any space in it to fit anything. The main bedroom on the other hand was quite large which I enjoyed.

We were payign $668 a month everything included (except cable, internet and phone).

I hated living in it. We were on the 3rd floor and the building didn't have an elevator ... so whenever you had bags or groceries to bring it, it was a hassle. Same as taking out the garbage.

We weren't allowed to paint or hang anything off the walls because they said too many people caused damage.

Every weekend there were loud parties .. since this apartment was walking distance to the local college.

It was a shared laundry for everyone on our floor.... some people are disgusting and don't clean up after themselves. We took our laundry to my parents to wash it.

Sometimes it smelled like chit in the hallways because some people are slobs and don't take out their garbage.

We only had 1 parking spot and weren't allowed to do any types of repairs in the lot. The spot was also a good hike to the front door.

The positives .... I was out of my parents house. I could walk around bare balls anytime I wanted to.:devil: The fiance could walk around nude whenever she wanted to. :blah:

We now have our own place ..... 2 bedroom house, 1 bathroom.. nothing too big. But I have a garage .. a bit of a yard ... I can use a BBQ ... I can have a dog and if it smells like chit , it's probably the dog that farted. :cool:

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
With the economy the way it is you may do well finding something better than an apartment.

IcutMetl
11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree 100% with these guys. If it's short and temporary, rent away...but it's still a waste of money. Otherwise, buying a place is the way to go; there's still a lot of first time buyers money out there for people who have their crap together. You can buy a single family fix-er-upper for dirt cheap and probably have a small garage too. Build equity; make that money work for you. Put down as much as you possibly can, pay extra every month, get a 20year instead of a 30year mortgage if you can. I moved out of my 'rents house out in the country when I was 21- bought my first house; an 850sq/ft house with garage and fenced in back yard and was still paying under $800/month. All alone; no help. Oh yea, it WAS a pisser when I wanted to spend money that I didn't have...but that'll all work out.

flammable
11-16-2009, 11:04 PM
ok i want to say thanks to everyone and clarify things

i live with my parents, and my yards only 15 acres but i live in nh and my riding space is up around 1000 acres,

also me and my gf are both 19, and both turn 20 in january,

it will be temporary, (under a year)

and it needed to be ASAP

we found a place its a 2 bedroom 900sq ft 1 bath appartment brandnew fridge microwave and stove, all digital stuff, heating and water included,and a balcanny, for 692 a month, wich we can easily swing, plus its 2 big bedrooms so my 18 yr old brothers moving in to since hes out of highschool

thats only 230 each a month, i make double that a week, im an emt, shes a nurse, and my brothers an electrician.

so were just goin to bank all the extra for a down payment,

our move in date is the 28th so any more advice would be helpfull

o ya did i mention it comes with free laundrey, 2 outdoor pools, 1 indoor heated pool, jaccuzi, sauna, gym, and billairds room, and were allowed to work on cars, and have bbq

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 11:50 PM
That’s not bad and as long as you don't stay to long. The sooner you get something you can own the better. I had my house paid for by the time I was 30 and you have no idea how great it is knowing that no mater what the economy dose I still have a roof over my head.

destey
11-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Don't rent unless you have to. Every cent goes down the toilet as your landlord gets wealthy. I would buy a house yourself and let your gf live with you. No way let her get her name on anything. I was with a girl for 5 years and she left me 2 weeks before our wedding date. Stole thousands $$$$ of cash from me and took everything we bought together. I thought we'd die together so anything can happen.