PDA

View Full Version : first tear down ever

Mercedes
11-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Hey purchased an o6' ltr450 last june. Got some stuff just to personalize it but I wanna do a full tear down this winter. Can some one please let me know all I need to do while in doing this.

I know I want to change front wheel, swingarm pivot,and carrier bearings. What else should I look for or do.

Please advise, All comments are welcome.

jherbie28
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
the hardest part about tearing down the ltr is the wiring, its like a car there are wires everywhere but the nice thing is the wire will stay pretty much fit to where it has to go when you put it back on.

be careful with the connections youll get it back together and it wont start and youll pull your hair out trying to figure it out. also there is a tip over switch on the back of the radiator make sure its the right way up when you put it back on:p yeap done that

good luck

Mercedes
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm drawing up a list of parts I will need,and was hoping someone could help me out,so that way there are no surprises. Dont wanna have to wait on parts to come in. Was hoping to order all I need and then do the job.

So once again, if anyone could give me an idea,it would be much appreciated.

hatfield44
11-25-2009, 04:00 PM
shift pin relocation bracket

zack221
11-29-2009, 11:43 AM
A bolt kit might come in handy from bolts that have fell out from vibration or some that are just about stripped.

Stiles86
11-29-2009, 01:17 PM
100 zip lock baggys and a marker, mark everything you take off and keep parts together..... i found this one out the hard way

zack221
11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes that is very true. Dont think ah I will remember how this goes back on whenever you take it off. Chances are you wont remember if its your first time. After a few times you will probably remember everything but you can still forget the little things. If you need to take pictures of everything before it comes apart. You never know when something could happen you might tear into it and find a bunch wrong with it and not have all the money right then to fix it and forget how some of the stuff went on.

Springbok
12-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Rear axle carrier bearings and seals
Swing arm bearings,thrust washers,rizer bearings and seals
New chain and sprockets
Front wheel bearings and seals
Lower and upper shock bearings and seals
Rear shock link bearings
Throttle/clutch cables
Bottom steering stem bush
Rear and front brake pads
A-arm bearings, seals and pins (check upper and lower balljoints)
Tie rod ends.
Weld all cracks on swing-arm (make sure to drill a hole on the start and end point of the crack)
Maybe worth adding a couple of gussets on the frame,especially a solid plate on frame between the 2 bottom a-arms.
New fuse box on the fan

All I can think of at this stage