PDA

View Full Version : Water in Rear Carrier

Shawthy33
11-16-2009, 08:21 AM
So I was doing some small adjustments and tuning on the quad and when I loosened up the four bolts to tighten the chain and a solid amount of water flowed out of the carrier.

Is this normal? I would think this would kill the bearings very quickly? Figured I'd ask. Thanks,

Shawn

Pic with the new DS X-package Wheels

bean2080
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM
it happens to me all the time, i always just let it drain out and keep on going. if you ride where theres alot of water and mud you will find that the bearings dont last real long. i have a grease zerk in mine now and it seems to help alot.

Shawthy33
11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bean2080
it happens to me all the time, i always just let it drain out and keep on going. if you ride where theres alot of water and mud you will find that the bearings dont last real long. i have a grease zerk in mine now and it seems to help alot.

No question I'll be upgrading the carrier when it goes, but just wanted to know if others have seen this full of water. I definitely have had it completely under water in a few river crossings recently so obviously its not water tight.

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by bean2080

Yep put a grease fitting on it and if you keep it full of grease it wont hold any water. I would do it now and not wait till the bearing goes out. Just drill a hole in the center of the carrier on top of the swing arm and tap it and put the zerk in. you can do it without taking anything apart. Then when you pump it full of grease it will push out any water.

Shawthy33
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Yep put a grease fitting on it and if you keep it full of grease it wont hold any water. I would do it now and not wait till the bearing goes out. Just drill a hole in the center of the carrier on top of the swing arm and tap it and put the zerk in. you can do it without taking anything apart. Then when you pump it full of grease it will push out any water.

Nice, do you have a picture of the set-up, I can definitely do that, why there isn't one from the factory is beyond me, but.....

Exrider434
11-16-2009, 10:38 AM
thats not the carrier, there is space between the carrier and swingarm that is not water tight and allows water to get in, almost every time i ride and loosen those bolts water comes out. The carrier should be very sealed and not allow that much water in

Shawthy33
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
thats not the carrier, there is space between the carrier and swingarm that is not water tight and allows water to get in, almost every time i ride and loosen those bolts water comes out. The carrier should be very sealed and not allow that much water in

Good point, but is the grease fitting idea still a good idea? I think it is, just hoping somebody can throw a picture up so I don't drill in the wrong spot

slightlybent47
11-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
Yep you’re right it's not the actual carrier. My carrier is a lone star and has two holes in the career itself and the grease will go in if you keep pumping it in. The Barings are sealed and should keep out most of the crud. If you ride in mud and water you will just have to take the carrier apart from time to time and clean and repack.
Just part of mudding.

It's not hard to take apart and clean, you should do it at least once and that will give you an idea of how it works and is set up. And you can put in the zerk at that time and you can drill the holes in the carrier part of the baring while you are in there.

If you ride in mud and water all the time go ahead and get the bearings and seals now and keep a set as spares so if or when you get ready to replace them your ready and don't have to wait for parts.

Exrider434
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Shawthy33
Good point, but is the grease fitting idea still a good idea? I think it is, just hoping somebody can throw a picture up so I don't drill in the wrong spot

yeah grease fittting is a great idea!

bean2080
11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
i dont really think it would matter where you did it at, mine is just in the middle where its easy to get to. i dont have any pics of mine.

coler2002
11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Stop getting stuck in every water crossing and you will be all set! :D

Shawthy33
11-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Haha....easy to say when your the second guy into every mud hole