PDA

View Full Version : Any Flat trackers?

OverTheEdgeINC
11-16-2009, 05:25 AM
So with my back up 400 I have been thinking of going flat track. I seen some flat track racing at a track I use to race at in Wisconsin. I was very interested in possibly building one into a flat track. However my questions are

How much do I lower it?

Are them E-Bay lowering kits any good?

What suspension arms are best?

Rear axle?

Will a 440 kit be sufficient in a flat track 400?

Shock setup?

anyone with any expirience have any tips or comments for me that'd really help. I dont know anyone into this or else I wouldn't have to post up and waste your guys time, However this site has some awesome people and great answers!!

Thanks

fauxamish
11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I race TT with my 400. I have a durablue lowering kit that I got used for $25 and +2 arms and +4 axle. I am able to keep up with the 450s and got 5th out of 16 my first time out, with 13 of those being 450s or bigger. I am only running a 416 (for now...) and the rest of my mods are in my sig. You just want to be as low and wide as possible. Lighter is better too.

OverTheEdgeINC
11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I was curious, I have a +3 setup in front. How do I get my quad lower? Will them lowering kits work on my aftermarket arms? I seen it said only stock arms. Is +3 wide enough? Would wheel spacers be efficient? I am new to this so I dont know anything about it really. Thanks!

fauxamish
11-16-2009, 06:49 PM
+3 would put you at ~50" which is the max. Durablue's front lowering kit moves the upper shock mounts up and out, so your shocks are more vertical, which "stiffens them up" according to durablue. The CRJ (I think that is it...) kit that you are talking about moves the lower shock mounts out and relies on the gussets to act as a kind of stopper plate for the links to rest against. Either Durablue or the CRJ rear link will work for I think just about any set up. If you are serious about this, you want a shorter swingarm also. Also, a swaybar and American Racer tires or Hoosiers are a must if you are not racing in the knobby/sportsman/beginner class.

I am by no means pro, I did three races. Rocked the first one, dnf'd the second (guy spun out in front of me, I stalled and the battery decided to crap out...) Third race flipped in a corner. Then I snapped my wrist in MX, so I missed the rest of the season lol.

OverTheEdgeINC
11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
So my best bet would be getting the durablue lowering kit? Right now I have a +2 swing arm. Would it be better to go back to the stock arm? I just found someone selling some american racers and inquired about prices

fauxamish
11-17-2009, 06:11 AM
If you have any fabrication skills (or know someone) you can make durablue's kit. Don't go back to stock arm's, the width is more important then the lowering.

All Durablue's Front kit is, is two plates per side like in the picture. There is a spacer that goes in between the rails of the upper shock mount and this helps keep the kit from rotating.

The big thing is, you can't do huge jumps. Anything you will encounter in TT or Flattrack will be fine, but I wouldn't do motocross with them.

The back lowering link is adjustable, but you could probably just make some different length links and experiment.