PDA

View Full Version : Walsh or Jb Gusset kits

ejmoan1
11-15-2009, 05:08 PM
We are planing to get my frame Gusseted on my 05 honda 450r and has anybody used either of the jb or walsh gusset kits and is it nessacary to get your subframe gusseted. we have always used jb suspension parts on my 300 and it held up well. Thanks any opinions welcome

kitman
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Bare makes a nice product i think they are around 50 bucks, if you have some fabrication skills and tools its not hard to make some gussets.

Balaz_73*00
11-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I have the lonestar one. I think it covers more than most http://www.lsracing.com/img/Guide_42.pdf

Butter
11-15-2009, 11:41 PM
X2 on the BARE kit. 16 piece for right around $50. Hits every place I've seen crack or break

D Bergstrom
11-15-2009, 11:48 PM
My race quad has a Bare kit on it and I still had some cracks, a couple where Bare did not have a gusset for, and one where Bare did have a gusset for and it cracked anyway. I got a new frame and put a Teixeira Tech kit on it. It actually had a gusset for every place my old frame cracked, plus I thought some of the gussets were a little better of a design then the Bare kit. No cracks at all so far.

Doug

ejmoan1
11-16-2009, 05:56 AM
I like the Teixeira Tech kit. it looks like it covers more of the frame stress areas. thanks for the ideas i completely forgot about bare and lonestar and this was the first time i have heard of Teixeira Tech, but i like all the areas it covers

HoleshotR15
11-16-2009, 08:30 AM
x2 for Teixeria tech.. top notch!

patrickj75
11-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Rath makes a good Honda kit for around $45.

11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
X2 on the rath one...

liljhall09
11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Joe Byrd told me its better to not gusset a frame ? he said when u gusset it , it puts more stress on the parts that arent gusseted. But you gotta remember he only uses a frame for 2 races.

HoleshotR15
11-16-2009, 02:06 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/HoleshotR15/168_0073.jpg

spanky101
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Now that is a very extensive kit! Ed at tex tech makes some super nice products from gusset kits to a arms!

BlaineKaiser450
11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I just gusset the problem areas lightly. Overdoing gussets will make the frame weaker than before

MX450
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
The walsh kit is similar to the lsr kit, both have alot of gussets the cover all of the problem areas. I think both are good kits. On the flip side you have the JB kit, which only has 6 pieces in it, it covers the very common weak spots and leaves the rest to flex i guess. Its really a toss up, do you want your frame to be able to flex or gusset the hell out of it... really up to you, i dont think you can go wrong with any of them really, i mean upperman and most of the faster honda riders that use jb stuff have their kit, so it must work pretty good.

I got the Bare kit on mine, and while I have had to weld a spot up overall it seems pretty solid. Only think i dont like about it is it doesn have the overtube gussests above the motor, i think they look alot cleaner. Ill prob put a JB kit on my next frame.

Dave400ex
11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
The Teixeira Tech and LSR kits are very good. I ended up just using certain gussets out of the kit and did the areas I thought needed it most as well as just welding over a few things.

ejmoan1
11-18-2009, 05:45 AM
We have heard that if you weld to much on the frame the more brittle it becomes making it weaker than before. I like the tex tech kit but their is a lot of welding involved

Sjorge450R
11-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ejmoan1
We have heard that if you weld to much on the frame the more brittle it becomes making it weaker than before. I like the tex tech kit but their is a lot of welding involved

this is true. this is because the heat from welding weakens the metal and also, when you add gussets all over the place, you force the frame to flex a points it shouldnt be flexing, thus causing it to break crack.

I made my own kit (I know, people say its not a good idea) but I put my R through about 2 years of A class XC racing and there is not one problem.

ejmoan1
11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
We designed our own and had a company called midstate manufacturing make it and put it in on our 300 on the second frame based on where the first frame cracked and it worked well. We are looking gusset kits for the 450 because they arent that expensive and we don't know where these frames fail and Does anybody have picture or knows what gussets it has and how many i pretty sure you want the upper frame rail gussets and sub frame mount gussets

D Bergstrom
11-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I like the tex tech kit but their is a lot of welding involved

True, but not a big deal if your welder knows what he is doing. The guy who welded mine would weld a gusset in the front, then do one in the back, then back to the front, etc. That way one area did not get alot of heat at one time. He also took his time, welded a couple then took a little break to let the frame cool, then would weld in a few more.

My race quad has over 1,400 race miles on it since I installed the Teixeira Tech kit, then probably 200 or so testing miles. Plus I had a high speed get off at one of the races and cart wheeled the quad. Frame does not have one crack in it, has held up great so far.

Does anybody have picture or knows what gussets it has and how many i pretty sure you want the upper frame rail gussets and sub frame mount gussets

Are you talking about the Teixeira kit? If so, Ed has a link to the instuctions on his website:

http://www.teixeiratech.com/services.htm

Doug

11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
adding alot of gussets make a frame very rigid and stiff. If you took 2 identical bikes and gusseted one frame and not the other you would notice the differnce, if you pay attention to it. i know this cause i have done it before.

to ridgid makes the bike not stick as well in the corners. but does mean you can have a frame alot longer. there are plus and minus with having one and not but i think it comes down to what you are useing it for. if your just a weekend racer/trail rider than add 1000 gussets and wieght, if you are looking at performace than just add the rath or jb one they cover very little.

And of course if money is no object than just buy a new frame every year.

Scro
11-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by liljhall09
Joe Byrd told me its better to not gusset a frame ? he said when u gusset it , it puts more stress on the parts that arent gusseted. But you gotta remember he only uses a frame for 2 races.

You have to find the right balance. The stock frame flexes alot. That, coupled with cheap welds and material, will cause even casual trail riden frames to crack. Add in too many gussets, the frame becomes to rigid, and you get other parts of the frame cracking.

Alot of the gussets kits out now have too many pieces.