PDA

View Full Version : battery maintenance

mgh
11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I have some basic battery maintenance questions.

I live where it gets below freezing regularly for a few months. I was told to take my battery out. That makes sense, but makes it hard to play in the snow, changing the battery in and out. Will the battery do OK if I leave it out, but leave a battery tender on it?

Is it safe to keep the battery tender on it while inside the house?

Thanks for any help.

Josh300ex
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
i live just across the border from Buffalo in Ontario and i am leaving my battery in. i did last year too, nothing happened. but i am also riding during the winter. idk if u are or not, but im sure that will make a difference.
how much snow do u usually get there? i am surprised we dont have any yet (N) i put my snow tires on this weekend, now all i have to do is wait for snow. ;)

mgh
11-16-2009, 07:02 PM
We have had a couple of storms that just dropped a skiff of snow in the valley. Have not heard yet what the mountains have had from the storms.

This is my first winter with an ATV, so still unsure how it will go in the snow.

Thanks for the response.

Pappy
11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes, if the battery is stored where the temps will be below freezing for an extended period, remove it and keep it in an area that stays above freezing. If you ride throughout the winter, you will most likely be ok, but you will face teh chance that it will get cold enough to where the battery will not start the atv.

A battery tender will work well, but NO AGM or Lead Acid batteries should be charged in the house. Charge it and then keep it inside. Once a month, hook the charger up and repeat till your ready to ride.

mgh
11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
but NO AGM or Lead Acid batteries should be charged in the house. Charge it and then keep it inside

Thanks.