PDA

View Full Version : cooling ?'s

mxpimp2000
11-14-2009, 05:28 PM
i just removed my fan and all electrical parts from my bike and went to a kick start. my ? is what can i do to help my bike run cooler? ive seen ppl take out or trim the radiator grille guards to maybe increase air flow. i wanna be able to keep my bike cool and able to run 20mins WFO striaght

ae13291
11-14-2009, 08:09 PM
use maybe engine ice? and who said to trim the radiator shroud? they made a better design of the shroud in 2006 so i suggest to keep it. also overtime you can get alot of calcium deposits in the cooling system. it would be a great idea to flush the radiator only with some solvent i used simple green in mine, and alot of white chunks came out. also i believe there is a performance water pump impeller you can buy to help circulate the coolant faster

Ride1Rob
11-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Why did you remove the fan? Other than a straight shot of air that's your main source for keeping the bike cool. Exspecially riding MX where I tend to see quite a bit run hot and overheat.

mxpimp2000
11-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Why did you remove the fan? Other than a straight shot of air that's your main source for keeping the bike cool. Exspecially riding MX where I tend to see quite a bit run hot and overheat.

my fan never came on and i didnt want to buy a capacitor in order to run a fan, i see alotta ppl without them so i figured why not ditch it

Ride1Rob
11-15-2009, 11:29 AM
My thinking is you'll be fine then. Like said before just run engine ice. That's what I run in my bike as well. I can say when I'm on the gas on my bike the fan never comes on no matter how long I've been riding. When I slow down though and it's getting less air it comes on often.

mxpimp2000
11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
My thinking is you'll be fine then. Like said before just run engine ice. That's what I run in my bike as well. I can say when I'm on the gas on my bike the fan never comes on no matter how long I've been riding. When I slow down though and it's getting less air it comes on often.

i chat with the guys over at yfztech often they are draggers and duners which im mxer, they said as long as i dont sit and idle alot then i shouldnt have to worry about it.

ive heard that engine ice gets clumpy and jelly over time i have 1 gal of it never opened it up because i was scared of it. im also thinkin about takin the overflow bottle off to clean up the clutterness. my bike is 100% kick start now with key and kill switch only im hoping i made a good choice

trxredrider
11-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Good luck mxpimp2000... The overheating was why I dumped off my YFZ but I was running XC with mine...

It seemed to happen when minimal mud hit the radiator. I had a stock engine with HMF exhaust and a pro flow intake.