PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

SKOAL400_311
01-16-2003, 07:33 PM
ok im not sure if this goes into body forum but i figure no one goes to maintence so here goes

i went riding today and when i got my 400ex unloaded the key went into the ignion but wouldnt turn
at first i just thought it was jammed and so i just messed with it and nothing happend,....to make a long story short i screwed with it a half hour and finaly heated it up with a lighter and got it to work
then i went riding
then when i was done the godd*mn thing was stuck to the on position.....so my question is is ther anyway i can take that off so i dont need the key to start it......and by the way since it wouldnt go off i did not feel like screwin with it so i left it on so im sure my battery will be dead but can i pull start it and let the engine run and charge it back up?

thanks alot in advance cuase i realy need this problem fixed before tomrow nite

muff
01-16-2003, 07:45 PM
for now just unhook one of your battery cables, having a dead battery is no fun

SKOAL400_311
01-16-2003, 08:49 PM
ok i just got back from my dads shop where i park the quad and the key came out with a little work but it wouldnt turn back to on
im goin to get some liquid graphite and see if that makes it turn any easier but if not is there any wire i can pull to just make it start without having to use the key
i had a recon where i lost the key and i just puled the ignition and used a screw driver to turn the ignition on and off but it dont seem like this ignition is goin to come out as easy
well i guess if anyone knows a way to start it up with out the key that isnt a hassle to do please inform me

later

"BLAHH"300!!
01-17-2003, 12:36 AM
man you can use anything from a light switch in your house to
an ignition from your dads truck to make it work (i think)

go to wal-mart, spend like $1.70 $3.00 tops, and buy a toggle switch, a 2-way toggle will work, all a key switch does is complete a circut. a toggle does the same thing. only differance is that a key switch has a key, so no-one will steal your bike, (if someone really wanted to steal your bike all they would have to do is pull out you switch, and connect the 2 wires on the back together.
if you want, for the time being, you can do that. (not sure if the wires need to be connected after the quad is running or not..maybe only if you want your reverse and neutral lights to work...

.....there's your easy fix....while your at wally world in the same section they have colored bulbs, buy one and stick it in your brake light sockett, then find a clear lense for it....kool

Sportrax10
01-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by SKOAL400_311
ok im not sure if this goes into body forum but i figure no one goes to maintence so here goes

i went riding today and when i got my 400ex unloaded the key went into the ignion but wouldnt turn
at first i just thought it was jammed and so i just messed with it and nothing happend,....to make a long story short i screwed with it a half hour and finaly heated it up with a lighter and got it to work
then i went riding
then when i was done the godd*mn thing was stuck to the on position.....so my question is is ther anyway i can take that off so i dont need the key to start it......and by the way since it wouldnt go off i did not feel like screwin with it so i left it on so im sure my battery will be dead but can i pull start it and let the engine run and charge it back up?

thanks alot in advance cuase i realy need this problem fixed before tomrow nite
You could buy a new ignition from your local dealer if you want too.
Also, a 400ex does have a pull start so you will need a battery charger to charge it back up.

muff
01-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Sportraxboy10
You could buy a new ignition from your local dealer if you want too.
Also, a 400ex does have a pull start so you will need a battery charger to charge it back up.

i hope you meant to say doesn't

SKOAL400_311
01-17-2003, 05:53 PM
well for now im gona put some liquid graphite in it and see if i cant get it to turn easy
if not i will just ****** rig it up with the toggle switch

Woodsrider
01-17-2003, 07:29 PM
How about "jerry rig" ? We dont need to use the N word