PDA

View Full Version : where has the U.S. auto industry gone to?

250r rider 88
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Been thinking about this alot lately:

Why is it that Audi (foreign manufacturer) can produce a good looking, safe, SUV/Crossover, the A3 TDI, and put a clean turbo diesel in it getting 54 MPG!!!! and sell it for $31,000 fully loaded but the only thing Chevy can come up that is comparable in class is the Equinox, getting only 32 MPG on gas, a difference of 22 MPG, and sell it fully loaded for around $33,000 + or -, and Ford has the Edge getting only 25 MPG on gas, half, half the mileage of the Audi, and selling fully loaded for around $34,000?

I just don't get it, you would have to be stupid to go out and buy any new vehicle like this from a U.S. car company right now when you can have foreign engineering (which in an automobile is the finest there is), damn near double the gas mileage, and the fact you are driving one sharp looking vehicle compared to the cookie cutter, box looking cars the U.S. is putting out?

The problem as I see it, with our auto economy is the top 3 aren't catering to what the people want, the price of diesel right now is very close in range to regular gasoline, if not cheaper in some areas,

I just do not get how people buying new cars in a down economy can choose the but these POS U.S. cars still, when foreign makers and not just Audi have safer, more fuel efficient and cleaner emissions.

Now i can understand that some people like to have a vehicle they don't have to pay an arm and a leg to have fixed at a repair shop or dealership, and Yes foreign cars are usually a lot more cash to fix, but the quality you get from them, when maintained properly is far superior to U.S. made cars, and if they are well kept will outrun a U.S. car over its lifespan.

Someone feel free to jump in here and give me your point of view cause I just do not get it, the reason our economy is the way it is is foolish spending on our parts and the governments, so feel free to join in this rant or go against it i want to hear what everyone else has to say about it.

/end rant

250x_kyle
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
ever seen a reapair bill for an audi?

11-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
ever seen a reapair bill for an audi?

lol so true, take out a loan for that ****. but i agree American auto makers have been going down the drain for quite some time.

Ralph
11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
But you don't have to repair it nearly as often. At least in my experience.

My 2002 E-320 has 30mpg @85 mph and has all the safety features most new cars don't have. (Brake Assist, etc). All that with a certified pre-owned warranty (Bumper to Bumper) and I got nothing to complain about.

Check out the True Cost to Own tool at edmunds.com

I do still believe the US Auto industry will come around. They had a big wake up call...

Canadian144
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Very few current American cars appeal to me... quite sad.

The only thing that I would go 100% Domestic on is trucks... the Domestic makers know their trucks! Nothing we tested out came close to being as nice as our 09 F-150 FX4 luxury package, as well as having the same capabilities, getting similar fuel economy and towing figures, and at a similar price.

Looking at cars, it's completely different. The domestic makers just make crappy econoboxes/sedans.

250r rider 88
11-14-2009, 10:56 PM
i clearly stated that repairs on foreign cars are higher but like said above they dont require as much maintenance as domestics if taken care of

also the only thing keeping the U.S. auto industry alive is their truck sales

01 250exman
11-15-2009, 02:02 AM
yeah I don't get it ether just about all of GM's new stuff sucks *** my brother has an 08 Colorado truck and the inside is so cheaply made the radio is pointed away from the driver, doesn't make scene and looks strange I could go on and on about the crap that the US puts out it's like we are 25 years behind in innovation! :(

brian76708
11-15-2009, 07:02 AM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/pelbri08/outofajobyet.jpg

Originally posted by 250r rider 88
i clearly stated that repairs on foreign cars are higher but like said above they dont require as much maintenance as domestics if taken care of

also the only thing keeping the U.S. auto industry alive is their truck sales

if taken care of, they are equally dependable. the issue is foreign car company's pounds in preventative maintenance and plans for it, and domestic businesses do not which they should. keeping up on preventative maintenance is what makes a car "last" I have never had a domestic car i have not gotten over 200,000 miles on and i never had to put a lot of money into those cars. truth of the matter is if you take care of any vehicle it will last.

11-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Out 1992 Pontiac Bonneville, has 152,000 miles. We bought it with 66,000.

Sure, almost none of the power door locks or interior lights work anymore, but the car itself is great.

It's the factory spark plugs still, had maybe 2 oil changes since we've owned it, and still the original tranny with no shutters/shakes/hesitations.

American cars are hit and miss. Their 3.8 is one of there hits. They run forever. Not to mention gets 30 on the highway and cruises 85 at 2k rpm.

11-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Oh, and I have yet to drive in a foreign vehicle that drives NEARLY as smooth or tight, as out 01 Grand Cherokee. The thing has NO sqeaks or rattles, and drives super smooth. Getting up there in mileage also.

<DRS>GPF
11-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by brian76708

if taken care of, they are equally dependable. the issue is foreign car company's pounds in preventative maintenance and plans for it, and domestic businesses do not which they should. keeping up on preventative maintenance is what makes a car "last" I have never had a domestic car i have not gotten over 200,000 miles on and i never had to put a lot of money into those cars. truth of the matter is if you take care of any vehicle it will last.

agreed..

btw. the audi is a 1.9 liter engine and twice the cost of other ~2 liter US made vehicles. though negative comments are few, many point out the size..
i like having the room to slide the seat back and tie my shoes.. (i outgrew the "cockpit" feel years ago.)

to be fair, i dont live in a highly urban environment and i really make an effort to spend as little time in a vehicle as possible.(though its tough to do when everything is spread out)

besides, if i wanted an suv "crossover" with mileage and little breathing room, id buy a chevy aveo or perhaps a saturn astra at 1/2 the cost..

one last thing.. if there was a real life "fair trade" agreement then i suspect the audi would be priced a bit higher.

Ralph
11-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by brian76708

I'm pretty sure in my field, a foreign car company is the only one I could get a job with.

BLU82
11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I would'nt consider an A3 an cross-over. It's a compact hatchback. The Audi Q5 would be comparable to the Edge and Equinox, and it starts at 37 grand with no option for a diesel over here and gets 18/23 fuel mileage which is worse than both the ford and the chevy.
A3 tdi: http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt66/marty27872/My%20car/newbriefsmall.jpg

Q5:
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp180/emawk/Audi/Audi%20Q5/2009AudiQ5.jpg

feuerstack411
11-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Oh, and I have yet to drive in a foreign vehicle that drives NEARLY as smooth or tight, as out 01 Grand Cherokee. The thing has NO sqeaks or rattles, and drives super smooth. Getting up there in mileage also.

You obviously haven't drove in any newer German cars.
Japanese cars are meh, but Deutschland makes gut schieße.
The only American car I have been in that wasnt complete **** was my friends 09 Escalade.
My moms 09 Aveo is complete crap. I love driving it though, because once I get out of that thing and get into my 95 BMW, it makes my car feel like a 2010 7 series.

I had a 95 Blazer for my first car, and that thing was the biggest POS I have ever owned. There wasn't a week where it was broke down. It only had about 105,000 miles on it.

Now I have a 95 BMW with 160,000 miles and the only problem I have ever had with it was....umm. Nothing.

nemo25
11-15-2009, 09:48 AM
American cars dont sell because they have no resale value what so ever. I buy a lot of cars off salvage auctions and 08 chevy cobalts sell for 1500 not even crashed where 2001 bmw's never sell for under 2gz. The only American car I would ever drive would be Cadillac all the other brands are built like ****.

11-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh, and actually Toyota and I believe Honda pump more money into this country then the American auto manufacturers.

All American vehicles are made in Mexico or Canada:rolleyes:

11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh, and actually Toyota and I believe Honda pump more money into this country then the American auto manufacturers.

That is correct. When 80% of the car parts are made here and assembled in the U.S., thats plenty of jobs and your supporting them by buying "foreign". I'm not sure about being made in Canada but I know a lot of "American vehicles are made in Mexico.

brian76708
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM

just because they make there vehicles here does not mean they "pump" money into this country. where do you think the profits are going? right back to there countries.

i like how we give huge tax credits for them to build there cars here and we have to pay a $hit load in taxes for every vehicle we send over.