PDA

View Full Version : Quad not running right, and Questions about main and needle.

zdowell
11-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Im trying to remember if I can get to the main jet and needle without dismanteling my quad? My quad is not running right and after 3 months of my quad sitting in the ol' garage im going to fix it finally.

If anyone wants to help figure out whats wrong, here is what I know so far. Quad runs great from idle to around 1/2 throttle. it seems completely normal and sounds great. Once I go past 1/2 its like hitting rev limiter. I CAN NOT go past 1/2 or else it doesn't run right.

My thoughts:

either A. Main jet came loose or B. Ive got a big ****ing problem.

Im going to check the main jet and see if its clogged or loose. lower my clip on the needle jet and drain all that old gas out and hopefully between the 3 things I will have my old quad back.

What do you guys think???

smw450r
11-14-2009, 05:55 PM
yea i agree with you i think it's the main jet proably sinse there's old gas in it, old gas makes a think tar after sitting up for awhile and it will clog up jet's easliy

11-14-2009, 06:42 PM
My R is completly stock and just today after like 3 hours of riding I decide to fill up before the next ride. Well maybe there was some dirt or sand in the bottom of the gas can because I was close to the end of finishing it off and maybe it clogged up a jet? After that fill up if you went WOT it felt like someone either hit the hotstart button or the killswitch and I would end up over the front of the quad because it would just stumble like it was stalling but since you were moving it kept chugging. Real bad when you go over whoops and it cuts out. So is there a little piece of dirt in the jet maybe? Or is something mechanically wrong?

smw450r
11-14-2009, 07:21 PM
i personaly would say it's a jet, how's your filter looking maybe start with that or maybe there's a chance you got some bad gas and what octaine are you running?

11-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by smw450r
i personaly would say it's a jet, how's your filter looking maybe start with that or maybe there's a chance you got some bad gas and what octaine are you running?

Well the filter is fairly clean, not much dirt on it at all. I did have a problem with bad gas once before on my 400ex and it would just bog down but not like this. I always run 93 octane unless my brother decided to use my gas and fill it back up with 87 thinking I wont know. I cant even trust people in my own home, how sad. Should I start with carb cleaning? Or drain the tank and go with fresh gas?

smw450r
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM
well personally i would drain it and get new gas and add somekind of carb cleaner i personally say seafoam is the best but any kind will work and if it dont clear up after half a tank of gas it proably won't then your gonna have to go through the carb, but i would be willing to bet that it will clear up it, but if it dont your gonna have to go through the carb i always use b-12 i think it's the best for a carb cleaner good luck with it

11-14-2009, 11:09 PM
thanks for the help, theres a can of seafoam in the garage awaiting it tomorrow. hope all goes well