PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock & linkage

04TRX400EX
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I did a search about linkages and such but still have a question -

I hate how the rear end of my 400EX "kicks" as soon as there is a good bump or jolt. All of the force is transferred right through the seat as the shock packs and I nearly get thrown off the quad. So how do I fix this? I'm debating whether I need to change the swingarm to relocate the mount location or whether a better aftermarket shock and linkage will fix it. Too my eyes the main problem is that the shock is way too upright and blows through it's travel and packs. A GT Thunder linkage doesn't appear to solve this. Maybe an Elka link would work better? My stock rear is already rebuilt, resprung, and ZPS and it still sucks. I want to do it over again once and for all and I guess that means spending whatever I need to spend.

honda400ex2003
11-13-2009, 06:15 PM
you could try to adjust the compression and rebound. i would do that first, going with the rebound. try to slow it up a bit and see how it goes. i would bring a screwdriver right on a trail and just keep tuning and hitting the same stuff to see if you can get it how you want. see if that helps first. just an option for you, i am def not a tuning susp. expert lol. steve

04TRX400EX
11-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm way past adjusting compression and rebound. I know how to properly setup a quad and my current setup is beyond help.

honda400ex2003
11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
good luck with it, i hope you get it straightened out. steve

Pipeless416
11-13-2009, 11:24 PM
so far i have been VERY impressed with my xc link. i can't remember where.. but i read that the more vertical you can get a shock, the more consistent the travel will be. i used to get the bucking before, and granted i haven't been able to really put the new rear end through its paces, i like what ive experienced so far with it. seems to solve the issue almost completely.

TRXRacer1
11-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Had the best luck with mine setting extra sag, the compression stiff and the rebound soft.

04TRX400EX
11-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like I should try a link after all. I am going to replace the rear shock regardless because I know mine isn't built/valved/sprung properly. Only question is do I do another rebuild (probably send it to PEP) or go full aftermarket (most likely Axis)?