PDA

View Full Version : 440 clutch upgrade?

bjjmoore
11-13-2009, 04:50 PM
ok, so this is my very first post and I have a question for you guys.

so, I recently purchased a 99 400ex from a buddy and before I even picked it up it was getting a brand new 440 kit put in. so the guy who put the big bore in ( another friend) wanted to be the one to break it in and do the jetting. I went along to ride the machine with him while we jetted it.
ok, so when we were riding I noticed a signifigant lack of torque in the bottom of the powerband. so much so that a stock 400ex was pulling away from mine at the bottom of any gear from a rolling start. oh yeah, my quad also has a stage two hotcam, which i know produces mid to high power.
the kid who put the 440 kit in swears that the clutch was slipping from the increased power. I couldnt tell because of a lack of experience.
so, is this a common problem with the 440 or could it be something else?

p.s. I was pulling strong from the stock 400 on a long run through every gear once i got to the top of my powerband.

hey thanks in advance guys!!

gt400ex
11-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Normally when a clutch slips you can hear and feel the engine rev up but not get anywhere, a good way to test this is lug it a little in a higher gear then pin the throttle and see what happens. My bike is hoped up and I am not running any special clutch. Oh and welcome to the site and the 400! :)