PDA

View Full Version : money making scheme???????

1-800-eat-sand
01-16-2003, 06:38 PM
hardweld rockers and valve sping kits

maybe on the biggest racing cams but on the drop-ins???

web cams and a few other people try to sell you hardweld rockers
and valve springs w/ every cam on every make???

has any one ever had problems w/ their stock rockers or springs????

also a new one i encountered is the timing chain

i was reccommended to buy a new one which was stock!!!

any info on these items is greatly aprreciated

nakomis0
01-16-2003, 07:03 PM
They are selling the rockers and springs as insurance.

I think a guy on here just a few days ago was running a hotcam2 and floated a valve.

The timing chain, i wouldnt say is going to go bad with a drop in cam. .. I can't say much about them.. but I do know if I was going to buy a new one it would be heavy duty not stock.

Predator36
01-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by 1-800-eat-sand
hardweld rockers and valve sping kits

maybe on the biggest racing cams but on the drop-ins???

web cams and a few other people try to sell you hardweld rockers
and valve springs w/ every cam on every make???

has any one ever had problems w/ their stock rockers or springs????

also a new one i encountered is the timing chain

i was reccommended to buy a new one which was stock!!!

any info on these items is greatly aprreciated

Hardweld rockers?? I am no metalurgist but I will take a crack at this. When using a rewelded cam (web, WB, Sparks, Megacycle) you run the risk of undue wear due to dissimiliar metals. There are two ways to handle this. One is to run hard welded rockers and two is to run Oil that is fresh and has friction modifiers in it. I have run synthetic oil with Energy release on a web cam and had no visible wear even after 2 years of hard use with the stock rockers. However if running a Hotcam (This is not hard welded) ther is no reason to run hardwelded rockers.

Valve springs?? That depends on how aggresive the cam profile and how high the rpm. THE SPRINGS MUST CLOSE THE VALVE. The stock springs are fine on Hotcams and on the Web 450/451 grind up to 11,000 rpm. If you run a higher lift cam you need other springs to avoid coil bind. If you run a more aggressive grind you will need stronger springs to close the valve before the piston hits them.

The timing chain does wear a lot on the 400ex and should be replaced every 1 to 2 years. Will the new heavy duty timing chains last longer?? Ask me a year from now.

cjpoole1
01-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Heres some info off of Powroll's site on it:

"ANY aftermarket camshaft for the 400EX will cause your stock rockers to wear quickly! The RFVC head design increases stress on the cam and rockers as the cam lift and duration increase, meaning that hardweld rockers are the only way to prevent premature wear to your rockers and camshaft!"

nakomis0
01-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Predator36

The timing chain does wear a lot on the 400ex and should be replaced every 1 to 2 years. Will the new heavy duty timing chains last longer?? Ask me a year from now.

I never changed the timing chain on my bike. At the time I thought it was something I didn't need. I'm way to lazy to open my motor up and get a new one in there.:( , Its the stock chain on my 2000 Ex, with about 2 yrs being modded. Hopefully it lasts one more summer.

Doibugu2
01-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
I never changed the timing chain on my bike. At the time I thought it was something I didn't need. I'm way to lazy to open my motor up and get a new one in there.:( , Its the stock chain on my 2000 Ex, with about 2 yrs being modded. Hopefully it lasts one more summer.

You realized you just jinxed yourself right there. It's probably going to break in like 2 weeks now. Or maybe thats just my luck.

nakomis0
01-17-2003, 02:50 PM
LoL, maybe. I have been worried about it for along time, so hopefully there won't be any jinx.

But your right my bike will probably last 95% of the summer/fall riding season, and then blow up, costing me about 30x's the price of a $60 timing chain:eek: ....lol

13RAZOR13
01-18-2003, 12:27 PM
we wasted are Full race W/B cam and rockers because of nonhardened rocker arms
thats when we had the 440 kit
we also had noticed our chain tentioner went out lots of chain noise
then the noise cam back we had also noticed that the cam gear marks wernt lining up perfect.

then we snapped the rod and sheered off the key off the fly wheel
because the chain was so streached it skiped gear teeth
the Rod Came out of the case under the starter:( :(
next came our sparks 465 kit W/new cases, hardend rockers,new race web cam, heavy dutysparks chain. lightened flywheel ect.

then we floated the valves bangggggg

no heavy duty springs

bent all valves, piston trned sideways in the bore ect. ect. ectttttttt
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.
we did the motor again!!!!!!!!!!!
every thing this time
--it has been kick *****$$$$$$$
lessned learnd if you build the 400trx motor dont skimpppppp
we wont agian.

Guy400
01-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Any time you replace a cam on any engine it's always a good idea to replace the springs. If you're not going to replace them you should, at the very least, check for spring height and spring pressures.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2003, 01:10 PM
I agree dont skimp on your motor work. There are alot of parts out there that will work fine with stock motor parts, But there are not two motors out there alike and people maintain there stuff differently this is one thing that must be taken in consideration. Change your oil and filter often with a good oil not walmart supertech and adjust your valves often the 400ex creates alot of heat and things wear. I also recommend uses and extra oil cooler to keep the temp down.