PDA

View Full Version : New trick to clean #40 slow jet

joker11
11-13-2009, 01:01 AM
It turns out that my jet was clogged and carb cleaner wouldn't clear it out. But the key was that there was a green mess growing in the carb. I don't know exactly what it is, but the dealer told me it was from water getting in the carb. So my buddy said, maybe it's not varnish in that jet, maybe it's hard water.
So I came home and soaked the jet in hydrochloric acid, also known as muriatic acid in hopes of dissolving the calcium deposit. Hopefully.
I pulled a wire out of my stainless steel brush I use for TIG welding. Started pushing it through the jet and it cleared out.

So if you are tight on cash like me and buying a new one isn't really possible, or you can't wait a few days for UPS to show up with a new jet, maybe you too can clear it out with acid.

Don't worry about leaving it in too long. I left it in for about an hour and it worked. On the second bike, I left it in for about 4 hours. I couldn't tell it was even in acid. And if it does get ruined, well, it was ruined already so no loss.