PDA

View Full Version : gt thunder

z400bs
11-12-2009, 06:12 PM
i am interested in buying a gtt mx linkage. It says it is designed for 18 inch tires, which makes since, but can you still run 20 inch tires with this? i sometimes like to ride trails still and need the clearance.

mxpimp2000
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
yes

Scro
11-15-2009, 04:41 PM
You can run them, but just know that your shock will be more likely to bottom out.

400man
11-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I have been searching though alot of "gt thunder linkage" topics on here and I have yet to find the reason why they recommend different size tires for the mx and xc link. I know that 20's are best for the woods and 18's for mx for handeling purposes, but I dont see how the tire size will affect how the suspension travel moves up and down?

Scro
11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
It doesn't effect the motion of the suspension, but rather where the shock will bottom out. With taller tires, the frame will travel farther down before hitting the ground. This had to be accounted for in the design of the shock and the linkage (thus the difference).

If you run taller tires with the MX link, the taller tires are going to the allow the suspension to compress more. This will cause your shock to bottom-out prematurely, which would probably cause the rear-end to buck.

It's the opposite if you were to run smaller tires with an XC link. The smaller tires will cause the frame to bottom-out earlier than it's supposed to. This isn't allowing the shock to use all of it's stroke.

z400bs
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
ok that mankes since, but trailriding shouldnt bottom out my suspension easy beacause my tires will be on the ground most of the time. so it will work for me. thankyou