PDA

View Full Version : help with my motor build

mpblaster287
11-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Im looking to get some work done to my motor this winter and im looking for some info. As my motor sits now it has the head ported, stock compression and a stage 2 hot cam. Im looking to go high compression maybe 13 or 14 to1. I would like to try a different cam something more all around with good bottom and mid.

i have an AMR moster coil and an IKAT spark enhancer boyseen high flow water pump and prw rad with cv4 lines.

I would really like some info on an FCR carb. ive tried searching but since i cant search fcr becasue its only 3 letters i had a hard time finding anything.

Thanks for any info or advice guys

eastside 400
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
get any FCR that you can, the 07+ CRF450 carbs are the best because they are the largest, if you get an older one then you can get it bored, 42mm is max bore without getting a bigger venturi. i suggest the venom/cp 14.25:1 ive been running it all season and its great, running half premium half C12 fuel. for a cam, if you just want a basic cam without worries or spring upgrades then get a 02 CRF or 05 HRC for topend, HC2 isnt that much different though.

Butter
11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I went with what eastside400 said about the FCR. I've been fighting gremlins with jetting, and other stupid little things, but I got it all figured out and dead on now. Running a Rossier head and Full exhaust, stock piston, Vortex X10, with the FCR from an '07 TRX, and even when it was a bit off last race (52 pilot instead of the correct 50) I pulled 3 Hetrick built Kawi's outta the holeshot. Running straight 93 octane as well. I wouldn't mind trying a 13.5:1 next year, but she flies now, so maybe later on next year or something.

I would go with a serious CDI box, such as the Vortex. You'll notice huge differences just in that. But as long as you not a rev limiter rider. If you are, your valve train won't last long with the limiter being at 11,500. But look into that, and then the FCR. Those 2 things alone will make huge differences. Do those, and if you still want more, then go cam and piston.

mpblaster287
11-13-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks for the advice guys anyone else?

motox_rider695
11-13-2009, 06:17 PM
i have a carb off of a dirtbike on my 04...i love it, much much more throttle response..

as far as the piston goes, i'd go with a 13:1, it's goin to be more reliable and you will notice a HUGE gain in power

for the cam, i have the baldwin one, i like it a lot better than the hot cams. If i were to go with another cam it'd be a web 208