PDA

View Full Version : stator question

ukweasel
11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
does anyone have any tricks to get the stator cover off? i removed the case on that side and removed the lock nut with an impact wrench and i was thinking the whole assembly should slide out but it won't budge. do you have to remove the screws on the outside of the stator cover to get it off? i tried that and got two of them out and due to the weird angle i stripped one of the screws that are still in place. i tried to put the 2 i removed back into place but they won't bite into anything. would it be ok to leave the screws out and ride it (for future reference)? every schematic i've looked at doesn't even show the screws on the drawings and it looks like it should all just slide out. can someone please advise me? thanks

ukweasel
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
i may have answered my own question, i believe the screws hold in the metal plates on the magneto and the magneto should slide off leaving the stator. i guess i will try wd40 and tap around with a mallet to try and loosen it and slide it off. i just wanted to confirm before i started putting any sort of force on to it. sorry for being a tool, but insight is still welcome.

headache
11-13-2009, 11:24 AM
yes you have to get a magneto puller to get it off the crankshaft. don't beat on anything! the magneto has lefthanded threads inside it and you screw it on then use an impact wrench to "pop" the magneto off. Then you can remove the two screws that hold the stator on...

ukweasel
11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
i should have payed more attention, i did not notice the threads, only the holes. should be just like poppin the flywheel off an outboard. thanks for the help