PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fried Turkey

JForestZ34
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
The title speaks for itself.. I'm thinking of making it this year..

I would like to hear some tips and tricks that would make it easier for me to make it.. How does the turkey taste and whatnot..

James

F-16Guy
11-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Deep frying is definitely the best way to cook it, IMO. A good safety tip is to put the turkey in the pot and then fill the pot to the desired level with water. Next, take the turkey out and mark where the water line is so that when you fill it with oil, you'll know how much to put in there. Every turkey is different, so do it every year before cooking. If you put too much oil in and it overflows when you drop the turkey in, it can ignite if it runs onto the flame. I believe there are kits with a wire fixture that goes in the turkey with a loop that sticks out of the neck and a handle with a hook to insert and remove the turkey slowly without splashing hot oil all over yourself.

Buy a marinade injection kit. It usually comes with a flavored injectable marinade and a syringe. I really like the cajon flavor, but there are several options.

Google cooking times/temps per pound of bird. You'll probably also need a good meat thermometer.

Contrary to what you'd think, deep fried turkey is really juicy, and not oily or greasy. The skin is crispy and the meat is full of flavor with the injected marinade. Damn, I'm gettin' hungry.

450rdr424
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
friend did one a couple weeks ago turned out real good and had good flavor, didnt seem to take very long to do either....

Guy400
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I've deep fried our turkeys for the last 7 - 8 years.

1.) Thaw your turkey completely.
2.) Put turkey in empty pot and fill with water until turkey is covered. Remove turkey and mark water level on outside of pot (I use a strip of electrical tape).
3.) Fill pot with oil about 2" less than water level. This is where most of the mistakes are made. Hot oil expands a lot. If you fill your oil to your water mark when it gets to the 375° frying temp it will be far too much oil and it'll spill over causing a potential serious fire.
4.) Fry turkey 3 - 4 minutes per pound.

J.Brown121
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
i don't know anything about cooking them but i love eating them. it's the best turkey that you'll ever have.

400exrider707
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I love deep fried turkey.

The only thing I like better is when we take the turkey breast (we only use wild turkey that we have harvested ourselves for this), inject it with your choice of marinade, let it soak in the fridge for a day or two, then cook it on the grill. As it's cooking keep slathering on the marinade. It is the juiciest this way, and to me, tastes better than the fried turkey.

My old man just got a 21lb tom the other day with his bow, so cant wait to grill this one up!

250x_kyle
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
makes a good treat on a cold winter night hangen around the garage at about 11pm. then throw some fries in after ur done with the turkey haha.

11-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Been deep frying them for 3 years now? Deffinately the best. This Thanksgiving I wont be having anything though. My dad has to have surgery again :/ I dont know where the closest Boston Market is either lol

liex21
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
have to agree with you all deep fried turkey is the best my family started doing it 3 years ago we dont even bake one anymore cause it doesnt even compare to the deep fried...dam i cant wait for thanksgiving

buck440
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
don't forget to inject as much marinade as possible. creal butter marinade is the shizney:blah: i love you turkey

TCracin440ex
11-14-2009, 12:06 AM
my family done this for the first time last year and its the best ive ever had.. i neve really liked baked turkey too much because IMO it was just entirely too dry and had no flavor whatso ever. when i usually ate baked turkey i loaded it up with salt to give it a good flavor. my family and i usually gobbled up ham tho esp if its cooked right and got a little sweet taste to it. and we have turkey sitting in the fridge for a week or so before it gets all ate up

well last year we tried the deep fried method in peanut oil and man the ham outlasted the turkey. the turkey was picked to the bone that thanksgiving day. it was nice and juicy had alot of flavor to it and it was so much better then baked.

rocky_mtn_honda
11-14-2009, 10:37 AM
just thought i'd mention if you use the put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water method, be sure to pat it dry with a hand towel or paper towels really well before you go putting it in the hot oil...water and hot oil obviously dont mix. this also makes the dry rub stick to the skin a little better. just be super careful and alert, make sure you have a temp gauge in your oil...i cant remember exactly what the flash point is of peanut oil, but i wouldnt wanna take any chances...not to mention, 350-400 degree oil could severly mame human skin.
have fun and enjoy...yummy stuff