PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Sport 400

deezie
01-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Are they fast? Are they good on trails? Have any of you had experience with them? Is it being an automatic a problem? Would you take one over a 300EX?

yellowrider
01-16-2003, 05:39 PM
if they are brand new i will take one over a 300ex but ,,,, only for the first couple of rides ...

i had both and i still have the scrambler and

i think you should get the 300ex because i never missed a day of riding and i wore 4 sets of tires with it... i had my scrambler since 98 and i still have the same tires if that is telling you something

01-16-2003, 05:57 PM
I've had one and yes there fast,,but the 300ex will be more reliable in the long run,,,Go with the Honda...;)

250EXstud
01-16-2003, 06:08 PM
They are good, yeah it would be alot faster than a 300EX. We had a Scrambler and my friend has a sport and he put a pipe and clutch in it and goes a hole lot faster thean a stock one. Yeah the honda will last you longer and is neet cause you have a clutch. I am really not a big fan of automatic, but it is a fun machine.

deezie
01-16-2003, 06:38 PM
when you say the 300ex lasts longer do u mean the engine or is it other problems?... what kind of problems? and are 300ex's easy to build up?

killed300ex
01-16-2003, 06:56 PM
thing things are pretty fast my freind bought one when he sold his 250x and was waiting to find a 400ex and the thing riped if you dont want the hassels of a clutch and want a fully auto the thing rips i bet it would kill alot of quads in a drag i mena i got my arse handed to me and the thing had bald tires. And yes you will prolly be buying a couple set of tires with this thing lol it tends to spin them if you goose it but thats a good thing but you will have alot more problems with the polaris than the honda stuff will just deteriarate (sp) and fall off or break
killed

deezie
01-16-2003, 07:08 PM
so im guessing the engine is good... and when u guys say problems you mean stuff other than the engine.. reason i ask is b/c there is a sport 400 in the paper right now for 2,800 and i didnt realize i could snag one for that cheap

TravEX
01-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by deezie
so im guessing the engine is good... and when u guys say problems you mean stuff other than the engine.. reason i ask is b/c there is a sport 400 in the paper right now for 2,800 and i didnt realize i could snag one for that cheap

what year is it?,,,

deezie
01-16-2003, 08:09 PM
the one in the paper is a 96.... im not going to buy it or anything, i just noticed that it was fairly cheap so i through it into my options...

TravEX
01-16-2003, 08:35 PM
$2800? You can find 2000 Scrambler 400's (same thing) for almost that much,,, they are a blast, though,,,i would think that $2000 would be a decent price for a 96, but that's just me,,,

Sportrax10
01-16-2003, 10:07 PM
If you can, get a 400ex over a Scrambler 400 and the 300ex. Polaris are really unreliable. My sisters Trailblazer 250 bent a strut from jumping and the dealer wouldnt cover it because he said that it isnt meant to be jumped. It also broke its chain. My neibor has 2 Polaris quads (trailblazer and trail boss) and between the 2 of them broke 3 chains in under a year.

JLanphear
01-17-2003, 07:49 AM
I had a 1998 Sport 400 and I sold it over a year ago for $2100 and it had at least $700 worth of extras on it. The thing flew...it would take a Banshee until it maxed out. Stock they are pretty quick also. They are comparable in speed to a 400ex...my experience is that a 400ex will pull on the Polaris in 3rd gear and keep pulling until top end. They have similar top speeds...the EX being a couple MPH faster.

So, it's quite a bit faster than a 300ex or Warrior, or a quad in that category.

However if you do much jumping, or anything resembling MX riding it will need a lot of suspension work, and weight reduction to be competitive.

If you ride tough slow going trails it will outshine most any other "sport" quad, but if you get into tight, fast trails it can be hard to handle...especially if they are bumpy.

Anyway, I had NO problems with my Sport, and I am good friends with the original owner who had NO problems with it either.

It's a good quad for what it's meant for.

-Josh

newjacksm
01-17-2003, 03:30 PM
my friends trailblazer broke his 6th chain the other day and he had his trail blazer since like end of september to begining of october.................

Polaris Blows,

BUT

I have to check out that predator:D

deezie
01-17-2003, 09:45 PM
the chain..... buy a better chain..... i dont think that would be polaris's falt..... but thank you guys very very much for all the info, it helped me out a ton...

foxracingpredat
01-17-2003, 11:05 PM
modify the scrambler and it will be really nice,,i would take my scrambler over a 300ex anyday..i school 400ex's my 400 scrambler so who would buy a evn worse and low powerd 300ex

deezie
01-18-2003, 09:59 AM
ya but could a 300ex be just as easily modded?.... well would it be much easier and cheaper to make a scrambler faster than it would a 300ex?.... the only thing i hate is the whole automatic thing, is there any way in swapping the auto out for a manual?

phatswinn
01-18-2003, 11:40 AM
scramblers are like 500 lbs, or at least it feels like it, i like my 300ex 100 times more than my stepdads scrambler, and the scramblers motors overheat very fast, im doin a top end rebiuld on it for teh 4th time this year, and the only problem i had with my 300 so far is axle bearings and i just stripped the counter shaft somehow but thats a very uncommon problem infact i think im the first lol

TravEX
01-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by newjacksm
my friends trailblazer broke his 6th chain the other day and he had his trail blazer since like end of september to begining of october.................

Polaris Blows,

BUT

I have to check out that predator:D

TELL HIM TO ADJUST IT CORRECTLY!,,,he's not adjusting it correctly,,,I know of 3 2000 Scrambler 400's (one used to be mine) and 2 2000 Trailblazers that have been ridden hard (well maintained though), ridden regularly, that have had NOT ONE PROBLEM! No chain problems, no belt problem, no belt slippage,,,,if people maintain their quads and ride them in the fashion that they are meant (stock Scramblers and Trailblazers are not meant for MX tracks or busting big air) they will have fewer problems,,,Please don't relate abuse or neglegence as being manufacturer specific!

newjacksm
01-18-2003, 03:06 PM
yah man i have to remeber
hes a ****ing retard this kid,,

TravEX
01-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by newjacksm
yah man i have to remeber
hes a ****ing retard this kid,,

I didn't say that, you did,,,

when has all this chain breaking occured? jumps? ?

what is his age? size?

i'm sure there's a reason all these chains broke?

were they OEM chains? aftermarket?

not flaming, just curious man,,,

later

newjacksm
01-18-2003, 06:29 PM
he is 15 and he is 5'6 and 120

bradley300
01-21-2003, 09:35 AM
if he's that small he needs a 300ex. a scrambler 400 is a whole lotta bike for someone that small to try and muscle around.

in three and a half years my step dad has done ONE thing to his scrambler400 and that is a top end rebuild, wich is just now geting done. that sounds good for a two stroke. he has had no other problems what so ever. polaris is a lot like a cannondale, if you treat them right, they will treat you right in return, YOU CANT JUST IGNORE ANY QUAD UNTIL ITS TIME TO RIDE AND EXPECT TO HAVE A RELIABLE MACHINE!