PDA

View Full Version : Oil tank opening......

11-23-2001, 06:13 AM
I hate changing the oil on my 400ex. the little baffle in the oil tank opening is a pain. would it hurt to have this drilled out or should I get a pingry tank-does the pingry have it? any suggestions on easier oil changing?

4punksdad
11-24-2001, 08:00 AM
to add oil to my 400EX oil tank, I use a transmission oil funnel. it has a long skinny neck & will fit right in the small opening. use a piece of tie wire or string at the mouth of the funnel & tie it to the bars..........now it holds itself in place.
do not add more than 1.75 quarts of oil (before start up) to the tank or you will over fill it.

I would not drill out the opening in the tank.

Tommy 17
11-24-2001, 09:59 AM
i wouldn't drill it bc all the metal would get in ur tank and into ur motor and thats a problem...

11-24-2001, 04:14 PM
thought about the shavings but I was thinking of having some large holes cut in and weld a couple of aluminum pipes thru to add some extra cooling to the tank, like the Pingry. figured with the large holes cut in and before welding the tubes I could get all the shavings out then. I went and got a funnel just now and put a hanger on it. the funnel is large enuf to hold all of the oil at once. I hated holding that little funnel and slowly pouring the oil in. thanks. what do you think about the cooling mod to the factory tank? I saw a Pingry for like $270- bit steep when you have welding buddies that would do it for a six pack!:D

EX 80
11-24-2001, 04:31 PM
So all the pingry's oil tank is a bigger ones with holes through it for a air to flow???

4punksdad
11-24-2001, 06:43 PM
If I had a buddy who was willing to do it for a six pack, I would have him make me a whole new tank with larger capacity. Adding flow holes to the stock tank would reduce capacity & therefore defeat the purpose. Just a thought.........get them a case of beer & a sheet of aluminum. :o

heck, I'll buy the beer if they will make one for me too!!

11-24-2001, 07:13 PM
I just figured I would cut 3 holes 1" dia. down the middle with a holesaw and cut the tubes to fit, drill out the filler opening and clean it all up and have my friend do a little welding around the tubes, making a whole tank is too much trouble in the end. we hardly have time to ride the way it is!

4punksdad
11-24-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by KBperf
I just figured I would cut 3 holes 1" dia. down the middle with a holesaw and cut the tubes to fit, drill out the filler opening and clean it all up and have my friend do a little welding around the tubes, making a whole tank is too much trouble in the end. we hardly have time to ride the way it is!

I guess you have some 1" aluminum tubing laying around?
are you going through front to back, or top to bottom?