PDA

View Full Version : carb time

rolfs_7
11-11-2009, 06:29 PM
So I picked up a 250 a while back and had issues with the carb for a while. For the most part It is running decent but will load up at idle. I just picked up a FMF Gold Series SST exhaust also planning on getting some aftermarket reeds and am considering a carb upgrade. The previous owner claimed it was bored but I'm not entirely sure yet. From what I've read the 38mm PWK AS is the best all around choice. I'm not to sure what the diff between the PJ and PWK aside from the AS and the idle circuit. Would there be a big difference between the PWK and PJ? The jetting is another deal I don't want to be ordering jets every other day and waiting for them to get here and finding out I need a diff jet. I realize jetting depends on a lot of things like weather, location, and even machine. O ya and does the throttle cable from the stock 250 work with the 38mm? I will mainly be riding trails. thx ahead of time

rolfs_7
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
so 35 views and nothing? Ive searched around but still havnt really found any answers

bullet225ho
12-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey there,

I'm in the same delima. I just orderd a PWK AS from the local Honda dealership for a 2000 CR250. (from research) This carb came with

48 Slow Jet
Not sure how to cross reference the needle from honda part numbers as of yet (still looking)
80 Main Jet

From doing searches on here and other sites it seems that a mildly built 250R would use

48 - 55 Slow Jet
DDJ Needle
155 - 170 Main.

I Will start with what is in it as it seems safe at this point. I'll run her and go from there.

I still need to get a throttle cable before I can install mine.

I did order 170 and 175 mains with my carb, but didn't get any larger slow jets, so I'll be ordering those shortly for tuning when I do get it installed.

hope this helps and I would love to hear any input also.

jas250r
12-23-2009, 09:04 PM
you need a different cable. i don't remember the motion pro part #. mine has a metal 90 bend going into top of carb. 38 pwk as is better for throttle response over a 39 pwk with a little less on top. the pj carbs are all low and mid. the pwk carb are more mid to top. i have ran a 38pj on a mostly stock setup, and it was great, idle to mid. response was awesome. changed to a 38 pwk as, not as snappy of idle but pulled alot hard mid to top. almost like changing to a different pipe. hope this helps. just my opinion

atv fan 28
12-24-2009, 01:03 AM
on my 38 pwk i used a motion pro cable part # 01-0604.

250rPRIDE
12-24-2009, 07:23 AM
ya i have always liked the pwk's i like top end because i am light and the bike can still pull hard, and i ride mostly open long trails.. i always like 39 and even bored 39 pwk's to the 40.5mm. but i have a 38 pwk as, and it was a great carb it gave me a lot more bottom compared to what "I" was use to. basicly a as has the 2 fin's on the intake side of the carb.. forces the air a little more i guess. but i had a 168 main in the 38as i think, with a pipe, uni, porting, reeds, cr250 cage, coolhead.. but on my 40mm i run anywhere from 170 to 180's.. i always wondered what a bored 38mm pwk as, would do.. not sure how big i could go with it, but mabe it would me defeating the purpose of that carb.
goodluck man.