PDA

View Full Version : hotcam owners

luvmyex
01-16-2003, 04:54 PM
for the ones who did the rebuild.Did you leave off the decompressor assem. when you put the hotcam in?If so do you also leave out the spring and plunger?What are the pros and cons of doing this?I was told it would wear out the starter faster,But i dont want to have to replace the starter in 6-8 months either.And last ? if you did put the assem. on the hotcam was it a pain in the butt or easy to do?

VegasEx'r
01-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Yes I pulled off the decompressor assy, & if you do that, you'd best remove the spring & plunger (It would not be a good thing to have those come out & get sucked in between the cam & rockers, or the timing chain, or the bottom end. I believe that removing the decompression assy will give you a little more power up top, since the decompression cam (at high RPM's) keeps the valves open a bit (I could be wrong on that, so don't take this a gospel truth). Removing the decompression assy supposedly makes it a little tougher to start the quad (although I didn't notice an increase in crank time), but not much. Assuming your starter is in good shape right now, it won't hurt it (& even if your starter was going out, it would not have much effect).

gojk
01-16-2003, 05:39 PM
I removed mine. There is no way that I saw for the assembly to go one the hotcam. The holes in the cam that the pins go in to hold the assembly in place are not on the hotcam.

13RAZOR13
01-16-2003, 06:02 PM
yes you have to remove it completly spring and all..

No problem with your starter.
we have a 99trx about a month after we bought it we did the w/b full race cam and 440 kit . A rear or two ago we blew the motor we have new cases every thing, and a sparks 465 kit...... its 2003 and the same old starter:)

NoFrillz
01-16-2003, 06:33 PM
so this shouldn't hurt, anything by taking all that off? kinda curious too for when I put my hotcam in.

Gusto
01-17-2003, 10:08 AM
I pulled mine off, (stage 2 installed now) Maint process was easy, just make sure you have the "book" and the right tools available before you start....took about 1hr from start to finish. Just ensure you have the right lube and break it in right.

YZROOSTINYA
01-17-2003, 10:13 AM
you do not use the decompressor on the stage 2, i dont kow about the stage one. the only thing the decompressor does is slghty open one of the exhaust valves during STARTING ONLY, has nothing to do with the engine when it is running. no it does not hurt anything

luvmyex
01-17-2003, 11:19 AM
What type lube should i be using?I know nothing with graphite should be used.Would a good 20w50 oil be good enough?Im also adding the piston thats in the sig.so again which lube?

Scott400EX
01-17-2003, 11:25 AM
i just ppured some good ol maxima 4 over mine before i put the valve cover back on and not a hint of a prob since!!!

redrider ex
01-17-2003, 11:33 AM
how do you break in a hot cam

luvmyex
01-17-2003, 12:23 PM
upon initial start up it is very important you DO NOT let the engine idle.the engine must run for atleast 20 mins at 3000 rpm's or better.We recomend a light trail ride to maintain engine rpm above 300 rpm.Only light engine loads are to be used.No excessive rpm or lugging.Let the engine cool.check your valve clearance again.
That is what hotcams says to do.
one final question.How did you get the flange off and on the hotcam?and how do you know to align it all up.

hotex
01-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Has all the instructions you need.

Tony