PDA

View Full Version : Ride height Question...

TH1RT3EN
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Ok, Newbie here with a newbie question...

I currently ride a 09 KFX450R loaded with Pro Armor goodies. Currently running stock tires (soon to change) but i have questions about it.

I ride trails mainly and some dunes. My issue is i get hung up in more places than most mainly due to ride height. I am looking for the easiest and best way to increase my ride height. If i go up a to a 22" tire in the rear (20" is stock) and 23" front tire (21" stock) would this be the easiest way to get a few inches? I am a heavier rider (260lbs) so i know i have to adjust the preload settings on the shocks, but i will do that when i get more information so i dont do anythign wrong.

Is there anything else that i can do to increase my ride height a little? Any sudgestions?

Thanks in advance for any input

Patrick

JParisi48
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
if you get bigger tires, it would help, but get a smaller front sprocket, 13t so you wont lug in the trails with bigger tires

BEARAZZ
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Is your frame hitting or your rear end?? If it is the rear i would suggest the GT Thunder sprocket guard and rotor guard. I would prob not go with tires that big due to alot of body roll and pushing in the corners with the sidewalls flexing

TH1RT3EN
11-11-2009, 09:19 AM
The main thing i have hitting is the swing arm skid plate, Alot of my riding buddys are on 400EX's and they dont weigh as much as i do either. Granted they have a bit more experience than i do, but i am just really tired of getting hung up 2 or 3 times per adventure and they do not have any issues.

The tires i am looking at are 6-ply, would that help more than the 4-ply versions?

Thanks
Patrick

And i will do some research on the sprocket guard and rotor guard thanks for the heads up, And i have looked into the sprocket change as well but unsure how big of a change it will be when done...

BEARAZZ
11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
6 ply are better but if I were u I would look into the GT Thunder sprocket guard or one like it. I also got hung up a lot until I got one myself

MtnEX
11-11-2009, 10:49 PM
The Pro Armor rear skid is retarded.
I ordered mine on the net too...

MISTAKE

Go out and look at it. The problem with it is that it has too much clearance between the sprocket/disc, and is also formed a weird way to 'recess' the bold heads.

Takes away a lot of ground clearance under the axle.

Dump it and get a PRM rear skid.
That's what I have on my 400EX and it has much more clearance.

The PRM rear skid offers very slightly less clearance than the GT Thunder stuff, but A LOT MORE PROTECTION.

The GT Thunder sprocket guard only protects your rear sprocket from blunt objects... and that is all the protection you get.

And the double guard has been known to pack up, or collect something in it... and rip the front sprocket shaft out of the trans... busting the engine case.

That stuff is a GT Thunder version of stuff Polaris came up with over 10 years ago.... And frankly, it is not near as good as the system that came stock on my 1999 model Polaris. If it was, I would be running it on my Kawi and Honda too.

MtnEX
11-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by TH1RT3EN

The tires i am looking at are 6-ply, would that help more than the 4-ply versions?

Do the PRM skid first.

Then see how it is.

6 ply tires will help... particularly ones like the Holeshot HD, etc...

Those have a real stiff sidewall and don't squat down like your stockers do.

For example, I weigh 200 lbs, and I can't tell by looking when they have no air in them.

The trade off is they are not as cushy going over things of course.

Also, if you pay attention when buying, most tires are available in a wider 11" width. An extra inch of tire width on each side will help you out.

But like I said... ride with the PRM before ordering tires. I think you will find yourself much better off. Then you can go with a 20x11-9 rear tire in 6 ply, like a Holeshot HD or a Maxxis Razr.

Those two I know are good.
Ask others about Kenda 6 ply.

Now, if you find you need more help than squat reduction AFTER installing the PRM skid, there is one more option before jumping to 23/22 tires.

ITP and Kenda offer 21" rears.
So a 22/21 setup is an in between option.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jakeyracer
11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
ok I don't own a kawi but I can tell you a set of holeshot hd's are the way to go. I rode on them with little to no air for approx 23 total hours of ride time and didn't even know. the sidewalls are built like a rhinos hide even a super low pressure they don't fold or handle different. I'm 180 lbs and my holeshots are on stock wheels. I've slammed em in sharp rocks loggs ruts and nothing even when I got that oh **** feelin like great now I'm bout to need a new set of tires... BAM! Oh wow nothing wrong here

BEARAZZ
11-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Just go and check out most quads at a gncc or xc race and see what u see. There cannot be that many people wrong. True the GT/Polaris type have been known to derail and cause major problems but there is a easy fix to reduce your chances and if u read GT's web site it will tell all the pros and cons. But this is like every other aftermarket part everyone has some they like and some they don't. The main thing is find something you are comfortable with and go with it

MtnEX
11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm not saying they are totally bad.

I love mine on my Polaris.
But it is what Polaris put along with it that makes me OK with it.

But I still don't like that there is no protection for my swinger or carrier. But I have not had an issue with that yet.

Anyways, the chain protection and guiding is one thing the GT Thunder lacks to me. The other is the fact that it's a dual disc, so some sort of cleanout must be ran to clear buildup. These are the faults causing the epic failures.

The ground clearance gained going from PRM to GT Thunder is very minimal. Not really worth it I don't think.

Pro racers expect the possibility of replacing parts and have the backing to do so... so they take the risks for every minor 'edge' they can get to help keep that backing.... (sponsors).

BEARAZZ
11-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I agree for the most about the pros and sponsor money(parts) but do u think they want to go out a lose because of part failure. I race XC about 1 or 2 times a month and have been for 2yrs in a few different series and have only seen one case busted by the guard and that was a fellow team mate and as far as swinger protection I have a low profile stainless rotor guard that is tough as nails and covers most of the bottom of the carrier housing

TH1RT3EN
11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Excellent Info.. Thanks guys!
I am checking into the PRM Skid, and the GT Guard.. I will most likely go with a skid only because of the trail riding i do.. It is common for me to be hauling through creeks and streams and hitting that big rock hidden on the bottom from time to time.
The last thing i want is to bust the carrier by hitting a rock..

Ill do some more checking into different products, thanks for the insight!

Patrick

ALXKFX450R
11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
look at where your axle sits in your carrier.If it doesn't sit at the bottom like 6 o'clock open your chain and turn your carrier. That's your starting point of setting your ride height