PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheels Touch A arms

f4iracer
11-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Has anybody noticed that if the quad is sitting and you turn the the bars all the way in either direction. You can push the wheel and actually make it touch the a arm. I noticed this because my pro armor a arm guards will rub if i push the quad with the wheels all the way turned. I noticed that it won't do it with just the bars turned, however if you kick the tire with your finger in between the a arm and wheel you'll feel that it can hit.

Just watned to make sure this was normal. I filed down the guard and it's out of the way now.

Pipeless416
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
check your hub bearings.. i know they get really close, but it could just be the a arm guards.

f4iracer
11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
my quad is new, that's why i wondered if this was normal.

powermadd400ex
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
when my quad was new, i had moose A arm guards on it, and it rubbed the inside of the rim to, i moved the A arm guards as far back as i could, problem solved. but that worked with my moose's, im not sure about pro armor.

f4iracer
11-11-2009, 10:29 PM
looks like i'll have to do some grinding, i've go tthem as far back away from the wheel as i can.

f4iracer
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
ok well i took the guards off and i noticed it hits the a arm too. its only on the right side. if i turn the wheel s all the way to the right it hits. there is a nice scrape from where it has rubbed on the a arm, and the wheels show signs of rubbing. im wondering if i might need to adjust my tie rod? any help guys? just wondering what i should do from here

Ncboost
11-13-2009, 05:14 PM
could you have possibly bent the frame or a arms at all?

f4iracer
11-13-2009, 10:09 PM
The quad is mostly mint, it's never had any type of hard riding. I've only had it for 2 months.

Anyway after looking more at the front wheels, i've noticed that the left front wheel won't touch the a arm, it actually stops just short of it. However, the right front wheel won't stop until it actually hits the a arm.

I've noticed the steering stem has a stopper on it too and it seems to be stopping in the right spot, but the wheel just moves further until it hits the a arm.

This 4 wheeler is under warranty. (this probably isn't ocvered).

Do any of you think i need to mess with the tie rod or how do i fix this? Help please i'm hoping this just needs an adjustment somewhere.

rob_990
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
does it pull to one side

f4iracer
11-13-2009, 11:03 PM
no

after checking in the service manual. It says that the lock nut and end of the thread on the tie rod are supposed to be 6.5mm

Well, guess what, i got to looking at my left side tie rod.....yeah it's out of wack. The right side tie rod is even, both threads are about 6.5mm. The left side tie rod is off sided. One side is like 3mm and the other side is more.

I've never adjusted any of this, the quad was assembled like this!

the service manual specifically states that the lock nut and thread end are to be 6.5mm give or take .3mm

Here is the left front tie rod, see how the thread to nut is a different length on each end.
top of tie rod
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/IMG_0058.jpg
bottom of left front tie rod
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/IMG_0059.jpg

here is the right side tie rod, notice how the top and bottom measurements of nut to thread end is mostly even, and it measures to around 6.5mm.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/IMG_0065.jpg

bottom of right front tie rod
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/IMG_0060.jpg

So, i'm convinced that this thing was assembled incorrectly? What do you guys think? Is this an easy fix for me without taking off the tie rod, or should i use my protection plan and take it in.

Ncboost
11-14-2009, 04:34 PM
yeah just adjust the tie rod. simple fix.

f4iracer
11-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Are you sure about that? The dealership said it was a bad ball joint.

They are gonna try to replace em under warranty.

TRXRacer1
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by f4iracer
Are you sure about that? The dealership said it was a bad ball joint.

They are gonna try to replace em under warranty. If you have to pay anything out of pocket question if they have you in their best interest.

f4iracer
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
yeah, i'm skeptical on the coverage, he filed a service request or whatever through honda and i'm taking it in on monday.

If they don't cover me i'm definetly going to question them about my best interest.

I'm sure they should though, it's only 2 months old and like i said i've not ridden it that hard.

f4iracer
11-16-2009, 10:45 PM
bump....

any words of wisdom or encouragement here. I'm just worried about this getting fixed. Right now i'm afraid to ride the quad and i'm waiting on a call from the dealership.

They said as soon as honda gets back to them they'll let me know what they say.

I'm like ok so they're gonna say no and then what?

I just don't understand how it can be the ball joints that went bad, when this quad is only 2 months old and hasn't been ridden hard at all.

What do you guys think....do ball joints go bad like this? Would bad ball joints cause my wheel to rub on the a-arm?

Is it even the ball joints at all?