PDA

View Full Version : 09-10 DS450xmx model?

LTRracer4
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Where can i find one? Ive been doing some research and it almost seams like there are none left in the states. If anyone is selling one, or knows where i can find one please let me know! I am located in St. Louis, MO.

ml450r
11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
I sold a real nice one.....

ZX11
11-18-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.cyclesports.net/

http://www.salinasmc.com/

http://www.caswellcycle.com/

All have ads for the X mx model.

borgoleo
11-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi guys i am for buy a 2009 mx model and have a question mx model have the problem of cracked case?? is very important for mi because i am from argentina and here is imposible find pieces if broke thanks for info

TNT
11-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Hard to answer, not ALL 08's have cracked. It appears the 09 shares the same P/N as the 2010, but when the 09/010 case was intro'ed to the 09 line is the question...we seen some 09's with 08 outdated clutches you should be more concerned about.

These sites can appear to make mounds out of mole hills most use it for thier problems. If all that owned 08's were to report to this site of no failure that would put it all in perspective.

Your chances are small of an 09 cracking, we've seen none that I can recall. If you get an 09 put some devcon or JB weld or permatex on the area as a safeguard. I'm doing it to an 09 because we got 08 cases so don't get confussed. Even if it cracks Devcon or a good weld fixes it cheap from what I heard.

Good luck I think you'll like the bike, read my thread on TNT Build ours rips, we race TX again this weekend on it.

nbm
11-20-2009, 02:16 AM
I would not buy one of these unless you are sure that the cases have been improved over the 08 model. I only trail ride mine and after reading the threads about cracked cases I looked at mine and what do you know, it's cracked! I would love to get rid of mine but with new left over 08's on ebay for less than 4000 I am pretty much stuck with it. now it's either buy new cases and hope they have been improved or try to band-aid fix it and hope it holds.

borgoleo
11-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Interesting your information is very good i thing i go for a yfz450r here in argentina the cam am mx they sell mi in $12000 and the yfz450r in 12500 i go to spend 500 more dollars and make sure dont have problems very good info guys thank a lot

TNT
11-20-2009, 09:17 AM
LOL! Well I wouldn't say that, the YFZr definitely has issues to. The frame, caster in front( get this the ding dongs put the front arm axis at an angle to the lower(and has no caster adjustment, you'll need new front arms from Houser to fix @ $800 go watch the video on thier site)), lacks power the valves are too small for one is the biggest complaint out there (you can get more reliable power out of the ds same mods) , they all got issues. That quad does not handle nearly as well as the DS, no where close. We(our close buddy) have a YFZr that will be in Dirt Wheels next month....our DS smokes it in many ways.

Again nbm has an 08 we have seen no cracks on 09 that I can remember which tells me the prob is fixed. Unless someone has a 09 that has a crack?

LTRracer4
11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
My dealor is searching the country for an 09 mx right now. doesnt seam like were having much luck. I got the can am support, i just need a bike, but i need one now, and i dont feel like building the 08 and dealing with all the issues..

LTRracer4
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
and sorry Merrill you were a few months too early. I would have loved to buy your quad.

TNT
11-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Call 316-265-2628 ask for Nathan the manager to talk about Rider Support or Roger sales, they have one on clearance for $8199 Marine World in Wichita, KS.

LTRracer4
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Terry. Ill call today

nbm
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
We'll I tried to clear up the case issue by calling brp customer service but ran into the same problem I did when dealing with my clutch issue. "all represenatives are busy" and no way to leave a message. Thanks brp! We all have had different expierences with different quads but I personally would go back to yamaha in a heart beat. Of course I don't know how good yamaha customer service is because I never had to call them during my ownership of a banshee, 2 raptors,and a yfz450.

TNT
11-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Don't get me started on our first year in 2004 w/the YFZ450. :p They redesigned in it 09 made it worse imo....Looking back it and the HON were the first "raceready" quad to hit the market, wish we choose the HON it was twice the quad the YAM was in the years to follow.

Suk keeps redesigning a bad 3rd gear that gets worse.

All in all happy so far anyway but need more time this winter to see, the 09 DS :D

Persaonally I would not buy a 08 DS for $2k, sorry they all depreciate bad these days. I spend the money on a 2010 and save in the long haul.

Actually tho after $20K our 05 YFZ is a very strong reliable practice quad finally! Very little OEM parts on it.

Think we got around $18 in our DS at this point. Mainly stock, look at the difference between the 09 DS and 09 YFZ arms for one, the DS frame is better too even tho they both got some issues BCS and Motowrks has resolved the DS, ATV 4-play too, don't know it you can resolve bad casting's the YFZ uses. It's flex issues are worse since they have very little lateral stability in thier design.

IMO only other quad is KTM especially w/the contingency program...nice! :D

borgoleo
11-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Omg is a hard decision 1 month ago i sell my 700raptor and now dont know what to do...... The mx version of black color is only 2009? or 2008 are too black mxs? in oficial site i see 2008 are only color yellow thanks guys !!!!!

TNT
11-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by borgoleo
Omg is a hard decision 1 month ago i sell my 700raptor and now dont know what to do...... The mx version of black color is only 2009? or 2008 are too black mxs? in oficial site i see 2008 are only color yellow thanks guys !!!!!

What are you going to be doing with this new quad. Racing? At what level?

borgoleo
11-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi!! i ride whit friends only wee ride in pinamar dunes a very nice place for ride nothing more,,,i am not a pro rider ......je

TNT
11-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Well in that case either quad would suit you fine.

ZX11
11-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TNT
Persaonally I would not buy a 08 DS for $2k, sorry they all depreciate bad these days. I spend the money on a 2010 and save in the long haul.

Really? I didn't see any improvements, once the recalls are done, except for headlight shape for the $3000+ upgrade in price. All their values are low since you can get the same bike with no hours on it for a song.

The case does get a better design with the 09's but BRP is pretty good at covering the known issues. And there is always the $500 extended warrantee.

Now a new DS 450 model with a stronger frame, lighter motor, moved radiator, and better looks would be worth more in the long haul than the 08, 09, 10, generation 1 series.

TNT
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ZX11
Really? I didn't see any improvements, once the recalls are done, except for headlight shape for the $3000+ upgrade in price. All their values are low since you can get the same bike with no hours on it for a song.

The case does get a better design with the 09's but BRP is pretty good at covering the known issues. And there is always the $500 extended warrantee.

Now a new DS 450 model with a stronger frame, lighter motor, moved radiator, and better looks would be worth more in the long haul than the 08, 09, 10, generation 1 series.

Where are you seeing the new design info at, I looked on thier website. Wow the prices really went from last year 2-3 grand are they crazy?

ZX11
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
$2-3 grand is the difference from a left over 08 bike and a 2010 bike price. Even new 09 DS 450's are only $4k new. Or can we get the 2010 for $3-4k? I haven't shopped that hard for one.

You said you would rather pay for a 2010 than a 08. The 2010's aren't heaviely discounted and I don't see the logic since they are the same bike after the 08 recalls are done. $3k is a lot to pay to get a two year newer date on the license.

TNT
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
$2-3 grand is the difference from a left over 08 bike and a 2010 bike price. Even new 09 DS 450's are only $4k new. Or can we get the 2010 for $3-4k? I haven't shopped that hard for one.

You said you would rather pay for a 2010 than a 08. The 2010's aren't heaviely discounted and I don't see the logic since they are the same bike after the 08 recalls are done. $3k is a lot to pay to get a two year newer date on the license.

I looked on the website and I think these are 2010 prices.

http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-CA/models/ds-450-efi/index.htm

The x mx sold for $9,000 in 09 now $12,000 in 2010.

If you added up all the cost to make an 08 equal an 09, how much is that?

Even then they don't list all the design changes? For example, the fuses changed in 09, they all went up 5amps. There is a bolt that was a high loc in 08 by the upper arm mount.....Makes you wonder what else?

I just would not want to deal with a 08. I seen a repro for $2,000 on line I passed it up. It just depends what level you race it or will push the quad too I guess, we push them hard thats why I said imo.

I didn't know the 2010's went up $2-3K from 09 to 2010. I think if you could find an 09 for a deal it be worth while, they seem to hold up pretty good so far. Maybe a 08 if you want to build it up too beats the new 2010 prices.

But yeah any quad any year it's a risk in what is fixed or what will develope.

xrxmxcx
11-22-2009, 07:36 PM
TNT as many things that you think are changed in the 2010, end up not really being the case after you strip the bike down and set it up for MX. There's a couple of updates that are all covered and make a 2008 model year bike up to par with the 2010. Everything's straight forward and what you think it is, there not hiding too many things from us!

Frame hasn't changed, motor hasn't changed, breaking them hasn't changed either!

TNT
11-22-2009, 07:52 PM
So are you saying BRP should not offer 2010's just sell udated 08's? No difference, 2010 waste of thousands of dollars why even offer it?

TNT
11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
Frame hasn't changed, motor hasn't changed, breaking them hasn't changed either!

I know your mad with your lemon frame issues but until you can show me or I can show a frame drawing with all the material and gage callouts you can not make that statement. Unless you got it from the Engineering dept or a good sales person that can read blue prints that knows what they are talking about or you broke it down to the gage and material call out and got your facts correct. I hope BRP changed the areas we know are weak, it would not be in thier best interest not to for warrantee claims that would be financial suicide! and the end of the DS's future.....especially at the higher MSRP, they will continue to improve this quad and will not offer every single detail of it to the public is my guess and hope! I found a few from 08 to 09 that were not disclosed is all I was saying.

TNT
11-22-2009, 08:18 PM

Where are you seeing this info with a new frame design? Lighter motor? Moved radiator? etc....?

LTRracer4
11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
hes saying that in a what if fashion.

TNT
11-22-2009, 10:08 PM
O, XRX your mail box is full here is my response. What is the exact arm mounting plate change and why? Also what exactly did that do to solve other issues if any? Why would BRP make these changes and not others if there were other known issues? Lets see how good your sources are? I mean I enjoyed reading your PM but weres the rational and facts?

I deal with sales people and procurement people ALL the time that don't what the H*** is going on in Engineering! EVERYDAY! Don't matter! Think about if BRP makes public issues known in the 08/09 frame they fixed there goes sales. Not all 08/09 have frame issues either, there may have been a bad lot of parts that came from a supplier got past QA and in the line i've seen that before. We have rode our 09 very hard and seen none. I know that area up by the upper a-arm needs a gage increase of about .030 on the extruded cross sections, they can do....You'd have to take every single frame part and check for dash # revisions, then some companies won't change part #'s if the gage changed or if the material went from 2024-t3 to 2024 t7511 or 7150-t6 is stronger, it's internal inward and does not affect "fit, form, or function".

Like I said if BRP releases this 2010 quad at this price $11-12K and it has issues with the frame kiss it good buy!!!!!

ZX11
11-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
hes saying that in a what if fashion.

Yeah. What if. A next generation design that would attract customers to current year models vs. leftovers. I think the X designs are on the right track by offering inovations that are not available on the previous year models.

Can am knew (or had to know) they were cutting their own throats in the short term by slashing prices on 08 leftovers. The sales of current models will take a hit. However, the problem goes away when the old inventory is all sold. By then, there are lots of DS450s of all years out there showing their stuff and getting new customers interested.

TNT
11-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Thats true but it's not depleted yet......and one thing is for certain you can not come out to forums like this and make determinations about BRP's frame issues from small samples of people that have had problems with them. Over the past year I seen two 09's, one had a twist must have been a Friday model, XRX's and two 08's. Thats really low, so can we say there are issues? No!

BRP will use much more info than that, primarily warantee claims accross the world, forums like this, race teams, lot samples to determine trends.

Also, as with any quad when you push the frame/motor/etc beyond the limits it was design to then additional mods will be required. Many look at that as being "Issues w/the frame", well it's not. As far back as I can remember we have always had to gusset steel frames when they pushed the limits so what makes this frame any different? BCS, BRP make frame kits for this very reason and they are reasonable priced. All and all BRP has the best AL frame design on the market, I can present details and facts why but won't. Kawi and Yam are worse!

I personally think they are asking too much for 2010's and until someone can tell me EXACTLY why I won't buy one, I'd get another 09 or a different OEM. So I take my statement back. :D

Blizzard24
11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by TNT
I looked on the website and I think these are 2010 prices.

http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-CA/models/ds-450-efi/index.htm

The x mx sold for $9,000 in 09 now $12,000 in 2010.

If you added up all the cost to make an 08 equal an 09, how much is that?

Even then they don't list all the design changes? For example, the fuses changed in 09, they all went up 5amps. There is a bolt that was a high loc in 08 by the upper arm mount.....Makes you wonder what else?

I just would not want to deal with a 08. I seen a repro for $2,000 on line I passed it up. It just depends what level you race it or will push the quad too I guess, we push them hard thats why I said imo.

I didn't know the 2010's went up $2-3K from 09 to 2010. I think if you could find an 09 for a deal it be worth while, they seem to hold up pretty good so far. Maybe a 08 if you want to build it up too beats the new 2010 prices.

But yeah any quad any year it's a risk in what is fixed or what will develope.

Terry, those prices you posted are Canadian prices, not US prices... the X MX only went up about $100 from 09 to 10'

TNT
11-23-2009, 10:05 AM
O, thats funny and I just called my dealer and ask WTF......lol! Boy I am showing my age, thx :D

DVXchic
11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Gotta love our Canadian pricing Eh? seeing how it is a Canadian product. I am looking into purchasing a DS450 mx, and i can't help but look on ebay, exriders etc for one. I would love to buy from a showroom up here but i will save thousands if i turn south and cross the border. :(