PDA

View Full Version : Dirtwheels latest shootout

upstate rider
01-16-2003, 03:46 PM
This time dirtwheels did a good , for those that haven't received there latest dirtwheels they had a shootout between the the z400 , cannondales 440 and the 400ex. They did give the z400 the win over all , Cannondale was the tops in speeds but was rated a little harder to handle , The 400ex was rated very well but was rated under powered to the other two. I think this time they did alot better job in there shootout results.

flyin#5
01-16-2003, 03:49 PM
thats a first.... but i think that much speed and power of a cannondale should take over that little bit of handling over the z. jmo

insane250Racer
01-16-2003, 03:53 PM
I almost traded my R for a Z .. i mean i like them but ...never trade my R unless it a really modded 1...some 1 shoot me if i do:grr

upstate rider
01-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Well at least this time they didn't hammer everyone else without giving them some good points

Knight440
01-16-2003, 04:18 PM
I think DW needs to let Pappy do there shootout and have it @ 4punks house :macho then will see what does better!

Quadracer5
01-16-2003, 05:13 PM
:devil That sounds like a fine idea to me Knight400EX. Maybe we should all write dirtwheels and propose it.

Kyle

AndrewRRR
01-16-2003, 05:19 PM
You'd think Honda would get tired of ranking LAST in power on EVERY SINGLE SHOOTOUT and bring out a new motor already!!!
arrgh
It's a great chassis, so stick a great motor in it already!

upstate rider
01-17-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
You'd think Honda would get tired of ranking LAST in power on EVERY SINGLE SHOOTOUT and bring out a new motor already!!!
arrgh
It's a great chassis, so stick a great motor in it already! Over the years Honda never seems to be the 1st to come out with it ....... But when they do you can count on a good strong quality machine :D They want to tease you a little longer this time :eek:

QuadTrix6
01-17-2003, 03:48 AM
im shocked, maybe they have someone in this forum :confused: reading our rants about how there bias :confused:

killed300ex
01-17-2003, 05:14 AM
not sure what month it was but ddi anyone see in the letters section of dw 1 gu goes how much are you guys geting paid for doing th shootouts cause tehres no way the z440 beat the 440ex then they repleid by saying "that hurts" lmao its was pretty fun
killed

lil400exman
01-17-2003, 07:31 AM
lol huys there dirtbike sales are sucking too there cr125 and 250 were rated last this year..................honda does this for as long as i have known them..........they get themselves in a rut everyone buys there reserve machines and then booom they whip out a new quad they have had made for 5 years in R&d..........................................

AndrewRRR
01-17-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda does seem to lag in bringing out new machines, but when they do they work really well. I just don't understand why it's taking them so long now???
The 250r has the best geometry ever put on 4 wheels, thats why the 400ex (not to mention every aftermarket chassis) uses similar geometry. They have a chassis. The crf450ex puts out killer power and is very light for a 4 stroke, and it even has a counterbalancer. They have a motor. OK HONDA.... WHAT'S THE HOLD UP???
All this on top of the fact ATV's have been outselling MX bikes like crazy the past 5-10 years. Too bad all the money is in MX. Honda and the other manufacturers need to get into the game like Cannondale and Kaw has done lately by factory-backing teams.

Ryan
01-17-2003, 10:23 AM
When the Preditor came out it was very unexpected. Polaris has been working on the Preditor for over 3 years but alot of people didn't have a clue that Polaris has been working on a sport machine untill it was finally out.
Building a good/strong atv is a long process. Im sure Honda has been working on this new atv for some time now, but not ready for it to be introduced. We already know that yamaha is in the process of making a new sport quad so honda has to do something to keep up with all the competition. Honda and Yamaha could be sharing idea's but who knows.

That would be cool if they did the shootout with the Cannondale, LTZ400 and the 400ex with the cr250 motor in it.

motochris
01-17-2003, 01:33 PM
I think Honda spent to much money on that stupid alum frame for the CR's that had so many problems that every thing else suffered... Honda hasn't made a fast engine scence about 97 imo... Its really to bad,but i guess some day they will catch up... :(

01TRX300EX
01-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex
not sure what month it was but ddi anyone see in the letters section of dw 1 gu goes how much are you guys geting paid for doing th shootouts cause tehres no way the z440 beat the 440ex then they repleid by saying "that hurts" lmao its was pretty fun
killed

I dont see why a person would say that, a Z400 has more modifying capability than a 400EX, I thought everyone knew that, but I guess not.

Nausty
01-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by upstate rider
This time dirtwheels did a good , for those that haven't received there latest dirtwheels they had a shootout between the the z400 , cannondales 440 and the 400ex. They did give the z400 the win over all , Cannondale was the tops in speeds but was rated a little harder to handle , The 400ex was rated very well but was rated under powered to the other two. I think this time they did alot better job in there shootout results.

Is what I don't get is how they say the raptor is a better mx'er than the 400ex:huh I think the cannondale should of won though.

AndrewRRR
01-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by 01TRX300EX
I dont see why a person would say that, a Z400 has more modifying capability than a 400EX, I thought everyone knew that, but I guess not.

???
I guess you were the only person who knew that.
As soon as the sea of red (440ex) turns to Suzuki Yellow or Kawasaki green I'll concede that they are a better quad.
I'm not saying Honda has a better motor. I'm just saying it takes more than a motor to unseat the MX king. Dangit honda bring out a CRF450EX already!!!

upstate rider
01-18-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
I think the cannondale should of won though. Cannondale did win in the straight drags everytime so they said , and the raptor was not in this shootout.

upstate rider
01-18-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
I'm not saying Honda has a better motor. I'm just saying it takes more than a motor to unseat the MX king. Dangit honda bring out a CRF450EX already!!! One thing the shootout had was that Honda had a great chassy and handle very well and Suzuki knew it and designed there's very close to Honda's. Honda's 1996 motor is very competative but it's going to cost you cubic dollars as they call it to do it

AndrewRRR
01-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by upstate rider
One thing the shootout had was that Honda had a great chassy and handle very well and Suzuki knew it and designed there's very close to Honda's. Honda's 1996 motor is very competative but it's going to cost you cubic dollars as they call it to do it

That's one thing I noticed about EX's. MAN are they expensive to modify! I'm glad I have a 2 stroke. Of course once you get into the really big modded 2 strokes they aren't cheap either (as I'm finding out). I found out today I need a new 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear in my tranny along with forks, bushings, etc. and I also broke the weld on my crank and have 8 thousandths runout. Dang horsepower! lol.
One thing those shootouts never seem to consider is quads like the Z400, 400EX, and C-dale's are legal for the 250 class where the Rapturd, DS650, etc have to run open (although I think there is a 4 stroke class where there isn't a displacement limit). It's like comparing a Honda S2000 to a viper. Not the same class of machine!