PDA

View Full Version : Please help with reed problem

1989trx250r
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem. I know this is a 250R forum, and I own a 250R but the problem is with my friends blaster. I know this forum has more traffic, and that someone here will definitely be able to help me! My buddys Blaster was running terribly, so we took out the carb and reed cage and found a broken reed. One of the reeds was missing. We replaced the reeds and it ran fine for a while, then started to exhibit the same issues as before, revving funny, not starting sometimes, stalling out, and no power. We took it back apart and found that the new reeds are fine. We took off the exhaust and checked for the missing reed, I didnt see it anywhere looking under the piston through the intake or anywhere ontop of the piston on the exhaust. (We did not take off the head or anything too serious yet.) Is it possible that the broken off reed is stuck somewhere causing this issue? Where should I begin to look? Might I need to repack the silencer, maybe it is stuck in there? It seems as though the piece may be stuck somewhere and causing intermittant issues only when it vibrates into a certain area or something. Thanks everyone for your help.

Jason

Honda 250r 001
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
It would defeneatly not be good to have the reed in the motor, but it would go out the exhaust within 5 seconds i would think. I think this a more of a carb issue than a reed issue.

86 Quad R
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
i'd start with the exhaust. that reed may very well still be in there, flopping around and plugging the exhaust part time.

red88r
11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
i'd start with the exhaust. that reed may very well still be in there, flopping around and plugging the exhaust part time.

I agree with 86 Quad R. I had this happen to me one time before. Hopefully this is the case and it will be a easy fix.

1989trx250r
11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I have checked the exhaust and cant find anything. Took the silencer apart, tapped all around the head pipe and the silencer with a rubber mallet to try to free somethin up...nothing. Also took off the head and the cylinder. Cant find anything in here either. Everything looks good inside the cylinder and the piston looks fine, except for some build-up on the top which we scraped off. The ports on the cylinder were also a little gummed up and these have been cleaned too. The rod bearing area was spotless. The cylinder and connecting rod feel a little loose, but this is normal for a 2-stroke right? I dont see any obvious wear. I guess I will put it back together and see what happens. I think its stuck somewhere inside the exhaust pipe and frees up when the quad gets hot. Thanks everyone for your help, please keep the suggestions coming!!! (I never heard back from anyone on the blaster forum)