PDA

View Full Version : Broken missing reed causing problems

1989trx250r
11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem. My buddys Blaster was running terribly, so we took out the carb and reed cage and found a broken reed. One of the reeds was missing. We replaced the reeds and it ran fine for a while, then started to exhibit the same issues as before, revving funny and no power. We took it back apart and found that the new reeds are fine. We took off the exhaust and checked for the missing reed, I didnt see it anywhere looking under the piston through the intake or anywhere ontop of the piston on the exhaust. (We did not take off the head or anything too serious yet.) Is it possible that the broken off reed is stuck somewhere causing this issue? Where should I begin to look? Might I need to repack the silencer, maybe it is stuck in there? It seems as though the piece may be stuck somewhere and causing intermittant issues only when it vibrates into a certain area or something. Thanks everyone for your help.

Jason

headache
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
did you figure out what was wrong with this quad?

1989trx250r
11-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Not really, no smoking gun found. Ended up taking off the cylinder, cleaning out all of the ports (some had pieces of the reed), and replacing the reeds, head gasket, base gasket and reed plate gasket. Also cleaned carb jets and found that the oil injection line was not plugged into the carb, and there were no hoses on the overflow nipples in the carb (one on each side). The oil injection is bypassed anyway, but debris could still get into the hole and debris could get into the overflow holes and clog up the jets. Its been running like a champ since.:confused:

headache
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
glad you got it going. I think its really rare that the reeds didn't get burnt up when they broke!