PDA

View Full Version : ftz engine building?

800screws
11-09-2009, 05:42 AM
anyone have experience with these guys? good opinions? bad? looking to go with a complete ftz setup for a lt250r....but a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke so i figure there is more 250r ftz motors out there....

C-LEIGH RACING
11-09-2009, 07:12 AM
They tend to build high rpm output engines & alky fueled as well, mostly for drag racing, so if your looking a bottom end woods type, you need to ask a lot of questions when dealing with them.

Not saying they couldnt do a bottom end output engine, but they do more top end type engines & tend to build them along those guide lines.
Neil

rockingkfarms
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
They built a woods/XC motor for me back in the early '90's. Turnaround time was great, reliability was good, and hp numbers were very good. I can't vouch for any of their recent work, but back then I had no complaints. Btw, Duncan/PTR is also very knowledeable with the LT's.

cdrookie
11-09-2009, 11:31 PM
was anybody protested more than mark lee back in the late 80's tt circuit on his ftz lt250's????? :eek2:

headache
11-10-2009, 01:01 PM
yeah they do good work. My brother had a blaster ported by them and head machined. Took about 2 to 3 week turnaround, they also bored the motor too. It screamed! I bought one of their pipes for a blaster and it was crazy on topend, so like C-Leigh said if your wanting a woods port you need to be specific with them... I don't think you could go wrong with having them do some work for you.

machwon
11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm sure they would do just fine with a motor build, but asking for bottom end woods power from a 2 stroke is not where I'd take my build.

woodsracer144
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
i had a pro x nics cyl from them and it was a good cyl was more the mid to top set up... but they were really help full with any and all the questions i had on stuff...

GOTFEAR
11-10-2009, 10:41 PM
i had 370 fast flat tracked it , mx , TT and drag raced fast they now their **** but if you ever have a problem customer service suck 14 months to get it back and had to file a complaint with better business B. but fast and the same with ESR

SuperSherman
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I just this last weekend tried a .030 over microsprint ported jug on my Outlaw Kart on a small track and it ripped! It's not lacking to much power compared to my 4mill stroked 72MM bored motor. It pulls hard off the bottom and rev's to the moon with a 39PWK and a digital PVL ignition.

IcutMetl
11-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Curious and bored, I got on their website and shot them an email this morning, asking most of the same questions, mainly focusing on a nikasiled 350/370 powervalve motor for a midrange/all-around machine instead of a dune-drag motor. I mentioned that I was a member of a couple different forums, and that while it seemed that FTZ had a good rep., that they were percieved as being a top-end oriented motor. A couple hours later....on a Sunday...I got a reply.

"Hi Justin,
Indeed some of our 250cc CR/TRX combinations are known for their awesome mid & top end power, it is a different world when you are talking about the powervalve motors, especially the 370/380.. The big powervalve motors have terrific torque right from idle up- as well as the awesome top end.
Guys that ride one of these tend to have to have one! One of our duner customers has bought 5 of them for all his buddy's. He couldn't sell his ESR stuff fast enough. He claims roll-on 6th gear wheelies with an extended swingarm!
The Nikasil process we use can be put on aluminum or steel liners, and is well worth the extra cost-- as the pistons and bores tend to last forever..
let us know it we can put one together for you.
Jon & Tim
ftzracing@gmail.com"

jboz5786
11-16-2009, 09:04 AM
My dad was sponsored through them in the early 90's He had a mx setup LT250r there porting was awesome. He also had a a LT500r And he ran a tt setup and raced flat track and rodeos. He couldn't keep a head gasket on it but from what ive been told there were kinda bad about that. I have a 2008 KTM 450 xc and im going to have them do my port work and engine rebuild for next season. Id go with them. Fair prices honest work. Proven track record.