View Full Version : jeep cherokee owners or knowers

JJs450r
11-08-2009, 10:07 PM
im looking into buying a 95-99 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 with a v8 just wondering about some pros and cons, reliability mpg is really a factor just like to know thanks

JRP
11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
i got a 99 cheeroke with.... 150,000 miles. Its a v6 but it is reliable still! Just been keeping up with the service and all that good stuff and its still running strong! I assume i get 20mpg or so, not to sure for certain!

matt14c
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Didnt have one that old but had an 05 limited and now have an 08 rocky mtn edition. Love them. The limited I had a Hemi and it was rated to pull just 500 lbs less than a 1/2 ton pickup. Best vehicles I have ever owned for the snow by far. I have had 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks with lifts and bigger tires and also factory rides and tires all of it and just something about the jeeps there just awesome vehicles. I liked my hemi alot more than the v6 we have now it just doesnt seem like it has any balls. I would definitly get the v8. I would get between 19-21 with my 05 with the hemi and I had a KN filter in it. The 08 with the v6 is all factory and we get about same. Maybe a tad less. There heavy vehicles and the 235 hp v6 aint enough motor for the weight in my opinion. Plus there considered station wagons so the insurance is cheap as hell also. My buddy has an 02 I think he gets right around 20 mpg and he has the 4.0 straight six I believe. Its better than our v6 but still not an v8.

11-09-2009, 04:35 AM
We have a 2001 (pretty much same thing as 99)

The 4.7 V8 is a great motor. They're very dependable, have some snot to them, and sound great. Not to mention it's the smoothest engine I have seen yet.

If you get the 1998 and older, that's a different body style and only came with the 4.0 I6, 5.2 V8, and 5.9 V8.

But with our style (99-04) they do have their issues..

1) Electronics. Jeeps have a lot of cool nice creature comforts, but they're constantly known to fail. We've already had a few issues but fixed them.
2) Heater. The little flaps are cheap and break easily, and cause it to stay cold. You need to buy a heater treater kit and take a day to fix it.
3) Weak drivelines. The rear is pathetic.

But overall I love it. Great power, style, and comfort. Rides supurb and very tight.