PDA

View Full Version : 300ex axle comes loose

Josh300ex
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
alright so, i replaced the swing arm and rear barring carrier in april or may. since then the two lock nuts have been coming loose. now there is play in the barring carrier so it will have to be changed again come next season.
i m wondering if there is anything i can do to keep the locknuts from coming loose so often. this is causing a lot of problems because now the carrier has play in it because the seals are almost gone in it, brand new EBC pads are wearing more on the outside from the axle sliding side to side, and the chain is coming loose, being stretched out, and it has fallen off a few time, one of hich got jammed in the front sprocket and snapped pieces of the clutch case :s lucky for me, there is no oil coming out, so i can still ride.
if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

m0t0xk1d
11-08-2009, 08:54 PM
either buy a anit fade lock nut or clean surfaces good and properly and use some good red locktite

Josh300ex
11-08-2009, 08:57 PM
thanks. what should i do to clean it properly? sand blast the lock nuts and threads on the axle.

m0t0xk1d
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
not that much. just get in the with a plastic brissle brush and clean it spray wd 40 on it and some brake cleaner and some good ole' elbow grease and you should get it cleaned enough for the red locktitie to work properly

Josh300ex
11-09-2009, 12:54 PM
thanks, ill do that now.

Scro
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Red lock-tite won't hold it, even after cleaning the threads. I wrap mine in electrical tape, and have never had one come loose.

Josh300ex
11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Red lock-tite won't hold it, even after cleaning the threads. I wrap mine in electrical tape, and have never had one come loose.

what quad do you ride, they might be different for different makes

Scro
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I ride a 450r, but the 300ex axle is the same concept. Tighten the outer nut, tighten the inner nut, then wrap both nuts several times with electrical tape. You won't have anymore problems with it coming loose.

Josh300ex
11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
alright so i put locktight on them after cleaning the dirt off, it didnt work, now i have no pads left in the back :ermm:

Pappy
11-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Josh300ex
alright so i put locktight on them after cleaning the dirt off, it didnt work, now i have no pads left in the back :ermm:

Try the electrical tape, it works, loctite will not as you now know.

Josh300ex
11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
yea, ive got a buddy that is the service manager at the Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki dealer nearest to us and hes lookin into if there were any solutions to tthis that Honda came out with. kinda like a recall on a car. if nothing pops up then i will try the electrical tape.

Pappy
11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Josh300ex
yea, ive got a buddy that is the service manager at the Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki dealer nearest to us and hes lookin into if there were any solutions to tthis that Honda came out with. kinda like a recall on a car. if nothing pops up then i will try the electrical tape.

Trust me, there are no Honda fixes for this. Honestly, if you dont take the advice folks give you, why ask the question:p

Josh300ex
11-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Trust me, there are no Honda fixes for this. Honestly, if you dont take the advice folks give you, why ask the question:p

ok, i was just wondering if there was or not so i talked to him because i would rather have it fixed the way it is meant to be. but if he can not find anything from honda then i will absolutely try the electrical tape. it just seems a little sketchy, i dont want to be in the middle of a race depending on tape and it fails.

i will tape it if nothing else comes up. i should know in the next day or two

Scro
11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
People have been taping their axle nuts for years. It's a proven method.

Josh300ex
11-17-2009, 07:42 PM
didnt know that, sorry

Josh300ex
12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
so i taped the lock nuts, and it has been good since i did it, which was 3 weeks ago i think, thanks. but by the time i even asked how to fix it, the bearings in the carrier are gone and of course i bought the double wide carrier in april and you cant buy the bearings for it. (N)