PDA

View Full Version : Death wobble

gcart2
11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
What all should i check for my death wobble. its gotten worst.

if you dont know what im referring to its the horrible air time shake.

obviously the axle is one thing to check but i have looked at it before and it looks fine. i have noticed however my hub splines on the axle are wearing a little causing the tire/hub to have a little play in them. would that have anything to do with it?

thanks guys. this new girl i have been talkin to is turned on by the whole racing thing so i decided maybe it was time to get the bike back in order. lol.

400ex28
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
mine shook real bad in the air when I had a bent axle... that's most likely your problem.

motofreak2772
11-08-2009, 06:03 PM
How bout this forget the whole thing and give me her number hahaha

naw im jp... Are you saying one of your rear hubs move? That is probably it. Does it happen right when you get on the track or a little after? cuz with a little dirt and the wind we've been having it wobbles easier. Or maybe its your swingarm... idk you just have to look at everything and keep trying things till its good.

gcart2
11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
How bout this forget the whole thing and give me her number hahaha

naw im jp... Are you saying one of your rear hubs move? That is probably it. Does it happen right when you get on the track or a little after? cuz with a little dirt and the wind we've been having it wobbles easier. Or maybe its your swingarm... idk you just have to look at everything and keep trying things till its good.

it feels like a bent axle, but its not.

The hubs have play in the axle. almost like the nut is not tight. the play is not "in and out" its "around". like the tire/wheel/hub will rotate a little when the axle does not. hard to explain.

quadracer118
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
your wheels could be bent of dirt in the wheels

gcart2
11-08-2009, 06:17 PM
dont think hipers bend lol.

born2ride14
11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Check the swing arm bolt and the swing arm bearings.

BlaineKaiser450
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Swingarm bolt made mine shake like crazy.

also look at the hubs, axle, bearing carrier, swingarm bearings, imperfections in the wheels, flat or oval spots in the tires, pretty much everything from the swingarm back

Sjorge450R
11-09-2009, 07:51 AM
i say its the hubs. That un easy shake is from the hubs trying to out run the axel in the air...thats what I say.

11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
i have had this problem alot... if the shaking is coming from the handlebars its most likely in the front end. like a loose front wheel, loose ball/hiem joint, or even a chunk of mud caught in your rim. if its coming from your foot pegs it most likely in the rear end of your bike. like bent axle, loose tires/hubs, loose axle, loose sprocket hub, or even your swingarm might be loose.

Also if you have beadlocks, and just put on rear tires, you might not have them centered 100% i have done that before. but it only shakes a little bit. and most the time it was correct its self.

gcart2
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Roostar 450

Also if you have beadlocks, and just put on rear tires, you might not have them centered 100% i have done that before. but it only shakes a little bit. and most the time it was correct its self.

definitely coming from the rear.

couple updates.
The other day when i rode and realized the problem i didnt get enough riding time to find the issue. ended twisting the ankle pretty bad. (fill in later)

i realized early that my swinger bolt was loose. yes i know i know. anyways i tightened that up and rode. it was semi better after that, still noticeable.

the tire thing, thats possible. I need to clean the seal anyways, some sand has worked its way down into it.

my little riding incident....
went riding at a friends local dirtbike track. its very tight and extremely difficult for quads due to the small berms, big jumps, loose sand. let the bike warm up with a few easy laps. started getting into it. after one serious lap i pulled off and tightened swinger bolt cause i seen it rotating :huh . couple more laps went by and i was coming up on a small double (40-50ft) a little slow, got to the face and stabbed the throttle. stall. bike went nose first and i jumped off. i managed to land feet first on face of ramp, face hit knees, mouth hit mask. and to top it off my bike rolled into me and knocked my *** over the landing.

twisted ankle, soar knees, busted lip, a little ashamed.... all in a days work.

The bike just rolled with it:p

still lookin. planning on slapping a new piston in it this week and headin to the track.

SHIFTx450
11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
your carrier is blown

gcart2
11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SHIFTx450
your carrier is blown

incorrect sir. checked that first. my 400 ate them suckers up.

Redrider99
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Iam puttin a new carrier in mine tomorow and I had one question. When I pulled the axle out there was like a metal sleeve on it the length of the carrier and it was shreded. Does the new carrier of a new one in it pre packed or do I have to buy a new one?

gcart2
11-11-2009, 04:28 AM
It should be in there. thats how it was on the 400. im sure someone could help you better than me. im sure when you slide the axle in, if there is play then obviously it needs the sleeve. im almost 90% sure its already in there though.

Ruf Racing
11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Redrider99
Iam puttin a new carrier in mine tomorow and I had one question. When I pulled the axle out there was like a metal sleeve on it the length of the carrier and it was shreded. Does the new carrier of a new one in it pre packed or do I have to buy a new one?

The new carrier will have one installed.

Redrider99
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the answers. sry didnt mean to thread jack

gcart2
11-11-2009, 08:41 PM
no prob bub.