PDA

View Full Version : What is needed, and/or suggested, for a beginning racer?

yamaha_maniack
11-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey everybody!

I am going to start racing my '09 YFZ 450R in the WORCS series pretty soon so i thought i would ask you racers this:

-What is required to race in the WORCS series? (or any series)

And

-What would you suggest for a beginning racer to have in terms of being installed on the quad, and the apparel of the rider?

I am just trying to get a checklist down for what i have and what i need so that i dont show up and not be able to race...
So if you could answer any or all of my questions i would really appreciate it!
Thanks!!

yamaha_maniack
11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
can anyone help me out?
thanks!

XCRacer236
11-09-2009, 02:58 PM
most series require a tether kill switch for the quad.

some require AMA but im not sure if WORCS does.

as far as rider the only thing the series around here require is over the ankle boots, pants, shirt and a helmet.

and for recommendations, for the quad the kill switch, good tires, an engine skidplate and either a swinger skid or the sprocket/rotor guards.

for rider, riding boots, pants/jersey/gloves, good helmet, googles and a chest protector. especially chest protector and goggles. i will never ride without those.

yamaha_maniack
11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Alright thanks so much man! i think that they just require a minimum of a chest protector, tether kill switch, nerf bars, and a helmet plus the shirt and pants.. and also if you have an aftermarket pipe you need to pass the noise requirement.

im just not sure if there is anything else.
and i wont ride without goggles and i wont race without a chest protector..

But also, what do you mean by some require AMA?

And what do you think about getting some hand guards for the handlebars?

Thanks!

quadboy-55
11-11-2009, 01:09 AM
hand guards are a good idea. you dont need wrap arounds or bush bars for WORCS though. also a LEATT brace is a VERY GOOD IDEA!!!

and yea, get nerfs, bumper (picking it up easier if you get high centered on a berm or get into the inevetable pileup.

for performance (cheap, get a slip-on) for best results, PC V and a full pipe. most riders are going with the Motoworks system becasue it isnt overly loud, but performs well. even with a 94db core in it. on the intake side, play it safe for racing, get the Prodesign/uni filter kit. the adapter makes the inlet about 1/2" bigger and gets rid of the nasty backfire screen, and the aftermarket UNI filter flows better. hopefully soon, when they release them, get an FCI intake for your R. too bad they still are in the R&D stage.

next best thing, and its free, dial in your suspension. and a new set of rubber.

400grl
11-11-2009, 11:51 AM
With the YFZR, as a beginner rider, you won't need much to be competitive.

I race in the A classes with mine, and all I have is nerf bars, a pipe, killswitch and a steering dampner. I actually prefer to run my stock tires for WORCS races, as they are tough and have good traction. I have a set of MX tires, but I always put my stockers back on for the WORCS stuff.

I raced mine BONE stock for my first race in the Women's A class and podiumed, even with a stock pipe, so.....you really don't have to do much, especially if you are racing in the C classes to start out with.

WORCS is a great series, and the YFZR is a great quad - you will have a lot of fun!!

yamaha_maniack
11-12-2009, 04:35 PM
ha alright everyone!! thanks a bunch! i appreciate all the tips...
so pretty much i am going to be getting
-DOT approved helmet
-Jersey and pants
-Gloves
-Goggles
-Nerfs
-Kill switch
-Handguards
-And boots.

Later on i am going to get the Motoworks slip on system, aftermarket grab bar(s), probably steering stabilizer, some aftermarket front suspension, an aftermarket intake, aftermarket tires, and i think thats pretty much it..

Also, another question i have is, in worcs racing say i drive out there and have never raced before.. when i sign up do they give me number stickers, or am i supposed to already have them when i drive out there?
Thanks!!

dirtmerchant42
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
a leatt is always a good thing to have on...

yamaha_maniack
11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
alright, i will look into one of those as well.. i have seen those cheaper kneck braces that arent leatt braces but they are kind of just a velcro on thing that just helps give support but isnt near as good as a leatt brace.. what would you think about getting one of those?
Thanks!

BakerRacing40
11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
look for snell approved helmets, most helmets are approved by both but don't skimp on safety, buy good safety stuff and if/when you wreck you can tell that paying the money to go first class feels a whole lot better..

have fun, be safe, and good luck to you!

yamaha_maniack
11-21-2009, 12:31 PM
alright will do for sure! haha thanks for all the input!

Ex_Rider43
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
the R is a lot more reliable than the previous model , but they didnt changed the subframe and they fail a lot under race/ hard riding use. subframe braces are going to save you from a DNF and $$$ repairs during the season.

yamaha_maniack
11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the tip!
I don't think that I will ride hard enough to brake one being a beginner and never raced before and all but once I start to get better I will definately look into one..
Either way, thanks for the heads up!

#17YFZRACER
11-25-2009, 05:47 PM
you really need to get a good chest/roost protector and a LEATT brace. dont use one of those foam neck rolls your talkin bout. you might as well wrap a scarf around your neck lol. you need to get a leatt and a compatible chest protector. the thor sentinel works good for that and its not real bulky but still offers good core protection. you could also look into the new 661 droid. its a chest protector/neck brace all in one but i dont think they are available for a while. either way you need a real neck brace system. this is a dangerous sport there is no gettin around it. you can somewhat be safe by yourself if you dont do something way beyond your skills and ability but you cant count on what the other people your racing will do. you dont want to skimp on safety cuz after you have your first wreak you will really wish you didnt. im speaking from experience trust me iv broke alot of bones lol. but it is pretty much the most fun you can have with your clothes on so jus have fun and give yourself time to progress.

yamaha_maniack
11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
alright man thanks a bunch sounds great!! I appreciate the input.. I will try to get a leatt ASAP but I don't know if I will have the money right off because I need lots of other stuff to get my quad ready to race too...
Could you maybe give me an idea of what a leatt brace might cost me? Also, what would that chest protector/kneck brace mix thing cost me?
Thanks! I appreciate it!