PDA

View Full Version : auto paint on plastics

jasonwayne222
11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
has anyone ever used a 2 stage {color and clear} auto paint on their plastics. I have some candy blue paint thats been waiting to go on something. And ofcourse i would use a plastic adhesion promotor and a 3k primer.

Wonder how long it would last

Pipeless416
11-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
has anyone ever used a 2 stage {color and clear} auto paint on their plastics. I have some candy blue paint thats been waiting to go on something. And ofcourse i would use a plastic adhesion promotor and a 3k primer.

Wonder how long it would last

don't ever ride it, touch it, move it, or look at it and it'll be fine.

jasonwayne222
11-08-2009, 12:25 PM
haha ya thats what i figured i just feal like painting something and my project truck still has a few things left before i can paint it.

liek
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
dude if you know what you're doing it will not go wrong !!!! sand it down with 280 grid sandpaper. put some heavy coating if plastic adhesion... laydown e primer coat and sand it down with 600 grid sandpaper and you're good to laydown your car paint on it !!!! this is what i did to mine a few weeks back !

Pipeless416
12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by liek
dude if you know what you're doing it will not go wrong !!!! sand it down with 280 grid sandpaper. put some heavy coating if plastic adhesion... laydown e primer coat and sand it down with 600 grid sandpaper and you're good to laydown your car paint on it !!!! this is what i did to mine a few weeks back !

bet it won't look like that after a few rides in the woods.

Ntensweapon
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I think if it was prepared correctly it would be fine. How do they get paint to stick on bumper covers? Obviously will show wear more than plastic. But it would be better than rattle can jobs alot of guys do. It will scratch but not peel/flake off. imo

nastyrider17
12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I read about a guy doing it on his banshee and he said it chipped a little when his fenders were caked with mud and he went off a jump.

BRAD6160
12-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Ntensweapon
I think if it was prepared correctly it would be fine. How do they get paint to stick on bumper covers? Obviously will show wear more than plastic. But it would be better than rattle can jobs alot of guys do. It will scratch but not peel/flake off. imo

Car/truck bumpers do not flex/move like fenders on quads do. The paint/clear coat will not hold up to "TRAIL RIDING/RACING" without cracking and starting to flake off. It may look good for up to 6 months but it will not last longer than that without looking like !@#$....."If you Ride"

camaromitch
12-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't know if you are stuck on the 2 stage or not, but a single stage would be a lot easier to touch up when it starts to get some scratches.

Of course it will show fade a lot sooner with a single stage especially if it is red.

I've put a little extra hardener in the clear coat for bumpers and grills. When I used to do it if you didn't buff it within a couple hours of painting it you couldn't buff it. That stuff got HARD, but I think it might be more prone to cracking.

Flynbryan19
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by BRAD6160
Car/truck bumpers do not flex/move like fenders on quads do. The paint/clear coat will not hold up to "TRAIL RIDING/RACING" without cracking and starting to flake off. It may look good for up to 6 months but it will not last longer than that without looking like !@#$....."If you Ride"

This ^^^

I have family in the auto body/paint industry and can tell you first hand it will NOT last. As Brad said, auto bumper/fenders aren't designed to flex like atv plastics. It WILL eventually crack, chip, and DEFINATELY will scratch.

Pabst_Powered
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
don't ever ride it, touch it, move it, or look at it and it'll be fine. x2

hypersnyper6947
12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
You have to put some kind of flex agent in the paint so it will hold up some what.