PDA

View Full Version : EX's with black rims

A4StrokeGuy
01-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Ok i think i'm going to get my rims coated black. Now here is one thing that is up in the air, do i get the whole rear beadlocks black or leave the rings shiny? I will be using stock front rims but i don't know if i want shiny rings or not, never seen one with shiny rings and black wheels. Also please post any pics with black wheels on an EX please!

Thanx Jordan

Syrus
01-16-2003, 02:11 PM
wont the black coating look like crap after the rim gets scratched ?

A4StrokeGuy
01-16-2003, 02:14 PM
I plan on using spray on bedliner, should hold up, i can get the stuff for almost nothing so i'm going to try, sumbody needs to be the guiney pig!

Jordan

01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Leave the rings shiny and let us know how it turns out..pretty good idea i think....:cool:

Syrus
01-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by A4StrokeGuy
I plan on using spray on bedliner, should hold up, i can get the stuff for almost nothing so i'm going to try, sumbody needs to be the guiney pig!

Jordan

is that the new texture rubbery type of compund (sp) that is like pretty much bomb proof ? i saw it on a "Trucks" show, looks pretty awsome if u ask me, but lots of $$$$.

A4StrokeGuy
01-16-2003, 02:47 PM
The stuff i'm going to use is made by 3M, can't remeber what its called. It comes in a spray can u just ruff up the surface with sand paper and put as many coats on as u want. I can get a can for 7.99, not sure how much each can will do though, i'll just do the outside of each rim then if i have enough i'll do the insides. Local hardwear store owner, who i ride with, says its hard to get at times to hopefully i can get enough. basically its cheap spray on rhino liner.

Jordan

redroost85
01-16-2003, 04:57 PM
A4strokeguy, I have my stock rims powdercoated gloss black. No digital cam or scanner for pics, but everywhere I go they get a second glace from guys thinking that they are beadlocks! As far as scratching goes, mine have held up past expectations. I waxed the crap outta them right after the paint process. Just an idea to throw out there....if you are gonna use bedliner type stuff to put on your wheels, will you have to be careful to spread it out evenly so that your wheels are not out of balance? Just an idea, I may be wrong here. I have Speedliner (rhino lining type stuff) in my truck bed and it added a few pounds to my truck. Maybe due to the small amount that you will use it won't matter. Good luck man:D

02 Red Rider
01-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Leave the rings shiney.:D

KP's lil'300
01-16-2003, 05:03 PM
the stuff that you are talking about is rubberized undercoating, and yes do leave the rings shiny. KP

Syrus
01-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Hey A4StokeGuy what colour is your quad ?

01-16-2003, 07:11 PM
the stuff you seen on truck is line-x. as for rubberized undercoating good luck. that stuff hard to spray without leaving runs or blobs.

A4StrokeGuy
01-16-2003, 07:21 PM
First of all my quad is red, http://www.geocities.com/revolutionracingconcepts/rides.html . Before i even think about putting this stuff on new beadlocks i'm going to try it out first, spare metal etc. I've seen this same product used and it is very thick. All i'm going to do is get a peice of medal, hang it vertical and spray, if it runs like a mofo, its not touching my rims. If that happens i'll either break down and get them pc'ed or just not worry about. Duz anyone have pics of black wheels on a quad?

Jordan

Pappy
01-16-2003, 07:23 PM
/

MX26
01-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Sure.

MX26
01-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Here's a close to stock 400EX with black wheels. I think it looks very good.

02 Red Rider
01-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by A4StrokeGuy
First of all my quad is red, http://www.geocities.com/revolutionracingconcepts/rides.html . Before i even think about putting this stuff on new beadlocks i'm going to try it out first, spare metal etc. I've seen this same product used and it is very thick. All i'm going to do is get a peice of medal, hang it vertical and spray, if it runs like a mofo, its not touching my rims. If that happens i'll either break down and get them pc'ed or just not worry about. Duz anyone have pics of black wheels on a quad?

Jordan

I sprayed the exact same stuff in the rear wheel wells of my Silverado and it held up great. You will have no problem if you layer it in multiple light coats instead of trying to do it all at once. Good idea testing your hand on some cans or scrap first to get your feel. I think you'll end up very pleased.

Gusto
01-17-2003, 10:17 AM
I put that stuff on my nerfs and front bumper....you will have to put ALOT on. I ran behind my friend to test it and it held up...ok with a regular coat, so I have alittle more added on. Then again, it will be the last time I ride behind him....lol

A4StrokeGuy
01-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Well change of plans! I gave C&D a call about sum ITP beadlocks, and ended up ordering HIPER dual beadlocks rims instead :eek: They gave me a price i couldn't turn down. Excellent service, they have my stamp of approval! Now i'm just going to put liner on my front rims, should happen next week when i have my tires! Now the question is do i paint the rings red or leave them black. I could have gotten colored ones but i spent enough as is, my parents are going to disown me now when they see the credit card bill oh well!

Jordan:D

Buzzsaw
01-17-2003, 08:32 PM
My old 300EX

kicken250x
01-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Buzzsaw
My old 300EX

That is one bad EX! Let us know hot it holds up I thought about doing it when I saw it on trucks but I wasnt sure if I should or not so let me know how it goes! Later...

Nausty
01-18-2003, 01:43 AM
I did this on photoshop

A4StrokeGuy
01-18-2003, 10:37 AM
That looks bad arse! Thanx everyone your opinions and pics. I know what i'm doing now, just have to wait for tires and rims, i hate waiting!

Jordan

Dave400ex
01-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Black Rims look good, but you need to have a different color Ring. I think all Black is to much....

A4StrokeGuy
01-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Yes and no, sum quads look awsome with all black but then sum don't. I plan on getting front hipers eventually so i'll get red rings for all 4 then, or if i like all black i'll leave it. Only time will tell.

Jordan