PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swingarm help?

MD400ex83
11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Hello i'm new to the forums here but i saw alot of useful info and thought i could get a question answered. I just purchased a 400ex dirt cheap, the idea was the replace alot of things on it spend around 1200-1500. The idea is to put everything back to stock i noticed it had aftermarket airbox no lid, wider a-arms, gas shocks (that squeeks), the rear axle appears to be aftermarket, as well as rear sprocket, brake disc. My plan was to make it sock because the front shocks are gas and they squeek, so i dont know if stock OE shocks will mount to the wider a-arms. Can i keep the the a-arm kit on and replace with OE shocks? Also i was looking at other things i should replace on the rear, (brakedisc/sprocket) This is what confuses me ( i've had a 2002 honda 400ex previous to this one) Where the sprocket mounts to the hub of the axle is different then my old 2002 and also the brake disc hub is also different as well as the disc and sprocket (This made me believe the axle was aftermarket) looking further i noticed the pinch bolts that relieve tension to the chain are different, the bolts on the 400 i have now has a four 6 point bolts rather then the hex key type bolts. This made me think if the guy that had it before me put a different swing arm on the bike. What i mean by all this is i can't buy a stock rear sprocket and stock rear disc without knowing it will bolt to this mystery axle. Is there a way to see if the swing arm on the bike is the right one for it?

gt400ex
11-08-2009, 02:20 AM
You would really need to post pics to be able to see it. As far as stuff bolting on there should be know problem, unless someone put 450 brakes on the rear. The stock shocks will also bolt right on if its not a long travel set up, I wouldnt change back to stock as the wider set up makes it much more stable. Just my .02 tho.

MD400ex83
11-08-2009, 03:12 AM
i don't know if the upper and lower a-arms connect to the stock knuckle so even if i replace the a-arms on both sides and find out the stock OE wont work i would have just wasted my time. i would rather avoid changing everything,if it's all in good shape and there's no rotted or broken boots. Keeping the setup can i replace the shocks without getting an expensive gas setup again to hookup with the a-arm kit, something similar? I plan to measure everything tomorrow and mabey keep a record of my step by step build. Nothing spectacular just to show what a little work can produce with the finish product. I don't have a garage to work out of so it comes inside tomorrow for disassembly. I'll provide some pictures of my old 2002 400ex ( my friend now owns ) and a 400ex of which year i don't exactly know. I know it's between 1999-2002 any who... it shouldn't matter it's the same bike right ?
Before i take the rear apart i'd like another opinion and mabey some suggestions my pictures will focus on the swing arm from both quads as well as the a-arm assembly the wire harness is also a mess but i can handle that. Also should i keep the aluminum airbox or convert that back to stock? I know for performance i should keep it but it just seems like a flimsy pos and it has no lid i'd rather a lid to keep dust out from trail riding, at least with stock airbox i could mount it better and it would seal better carb to airbox. Until tomorrow with pics... later.

MD400ex83
11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
how do i upload more then one pic, i have several?