PDA

View Full Version : Base Can am looking to buy.

416HondaEX
11-07-2009, 08:09 PM
So my local Can Am dealer just got in 30 Can AM DS450's and i'm seriously thinking about getting another quad. My question, they are just base Can Am 450's and not the X or MX or XC. My buddy ordered the 50" package that include the A-arm and axle for his X. And ordered the +1 steering stem and bars for $400.

What are the differences in this and the MX? I know you don't get the nerf bars or front bumpers, wheels and tires, i'll buy that seperate, but i'm talking motor or frame, (major things). Is there isn't anything different then I should prolly jump on this, switch out to MX a-arms and axle and steering stem and bars, then do a different shock setup. This also qualifies for the racer package and gets the exhaust and race ecu.

Think I should do this?

coryatver
11-07-2009, 08:39 PM
don't do it man. spend your money on any other quad those things are just problem after problem. Just look at all the other threads in this forum. The 08s have a list of issues a page long and that is probley what these are 08s your dealer gathered up cheap as crap becuase nobody wants them and he is looking for some suckers to buy them and make a quick buck. Don't get the race package direct from BRP as it instantly voids your warranty thats why they give it to everyone so they can get out of paying for all there mistakes.

416HondaEX
11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Please don't waste my time posting up crap like that. I asked about the difference between the two, not a long spill about not getting one. And by the way, they are 2009's not 2008.

http://images.traderonline.com//img/5/dealer/5537168//96012471_1.jpg

coryatver
11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
wow that looks pretty. now just imagine it with cracked cases, frame, up in steam overheated, grinaded clutch. not so pretty then. Its your money though so do what you want I am just trying to warn you.

416HondaEX
11-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Like i said before, stop posting in this thread if your not answering my question.

coryatver
11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
You asked what you should do and so I told you what I thought. As for your other question the motor and frame are the same on all models.

ZX11
11-07-2009, 11:37 PM
The frame and engine are the same. You need to look at the can-am site to see all the extras the X models have vs. the base model. Many people have decided on the base model so they can buy the MX parts from the brands they like instead of can-am versions.

I bought a new base 2008 model for $3300. So I guess it would depend on the pricing whether to go for it or not.

I don't think everyone has reported in with cracked frames and engines yet. I haven't bothered with crashing or overtorqueing foot peg mount bolts so my frame doesn't have any cracks. Get an extended warrantee if you are worried about things breaking from the factory.

Blizzard24
11-08-2009, 04:43 AM
1) The Frames and engines are the same on all the models so getting the arms/axle/shocks would be a good way to go.

2) The Racer kit does void the warranty but Can Am has stepped in any time there has been an issue with my 08 even after adding all the race parts AND the bike being out of the 6 mos period anyway. This has included replacing my cases and the 09 clutch update. So while the warranty is void, Can Am is still backing the bikes in most cases. it really depends on the dealer.

3) Full season of B Class XC racing and my frame and engine are fine, my only DNF came on a Polaris this season. There have been some frames cracking but there are plenty of fixes for them.

4) ZERO overheating issues even in 95+* heat and 99% humidity. The race ECU resets the temp settings so the fan runs earlier and no limp mode. I threw in engine ice and run the BRP Race Louvers. 2 hr races which have included Unidilla mud packed up.

5) With the 09 clutch hub, new side case w the 09 oil nozzle and added plate along with a Hinson basket, I have had ZERO clutch issues and Zero clutch squeal. Mobil Synthetic Oil used every time.

CoryATVER... anything else you have to say considering you dont own one?

RosquistRacer39
11-08-2009, 07:10 AM
I have a quick question. I am looking at a leftover 08, would they have done the updates to these models already if they are still at the dealer? I can get one for a good price and the racer pack is a killer deal. I would end up spending less for one of these than a used bike of any other make, and thats with the racer pack.

400exc
11-08-2009, 07:28 AM
The updates probably weren't done to that leftover 08 yet, because the problem(s) hasnt happened to the quad yet. I bought an 08 about 2 months ago and havent had any of the problems yet the people have been describing, except I got a junk battery. So who knows, you might not even have any problems at all with that leftover 08.

ZX11
11-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Racer39, the updates are not done while the atv crated and awaiting sale. You just need to work the clutch/engine mount update and fly wheel bolt recall into the deal. And any other updates you find people posting about. Get the dealer to write it into the sales contract. I had everything done except the flywheel bolts before I had the bike delievered. They will send my flywheel bolts to myself or the local dealer when they come off of backorder.

On a side note: if you are buying the atv from a dealer out of state and looking to add on pipes, nerf bars, and other accessories, it might pay off in the long run to buy some of them from your local dealer. This builds up relations with them in case you need some work done. You would be seen as a valued customer and not just a load on their time.

draygarcia
11-08-2009, 11:46 AM
i got a base 08 and i not really had to much trouble the clutch does squak but only ones in awhile and it was like over heading and running lean but i put engine ice and clean relays and new plugs and it runs perfect now i put i slip on and cut wire and i run better then any other bikes in my town i like my 08 though

ngarbe561
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
.....cant say ive had any of those problems the only problem iv had is i wore my engine out the only time mine over heated was i crashed and filled the radiator fins with mud and i cracked a fram section but again that was a pretty hard wreck so id say buy it if the price is right

ZX11
11-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by ZX11
I don't think everyone has reported in with cracked frames and engines yet. I haven't bothered with crashing or overtorqueing foot peg mount bolts so my frame doesn't have any cracks. Get an extended warrantee if you are worried about things breaking from the factory.

Hmm, I spoke too soon. My engine case now has a crack in the location everyone else was mentioning. It must have happened yesterday. It isn't leaking or anything but it is time to see about that warrantee work. :D

416HondaEX
11-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Are the 2009 models having the same issues with the cracked case as the 2008's? I'm looking into getting the base model and just upgrade to Fox Floats and Podium. Nerfs would be rath and some other non BRP parts. But couldn't turn down the A-arms and axle.