PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my CR 250 ignition mounted!!

1promodfan
11-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Well, I finally got 'er mounted up. First let me give some props to James (Deatons) for his help today.

Everybody was right, once you get one, you'll wish you had gotten one sooner.:D The main thing I noticed first is how easy it starts. I can almost give it 1/2 a kick and it'll start right up. So there's a place right down from my house (the sand hole).......as we call it......so anyway I wanted to see how she ran. What a difference that ignition makes!! You can just "stab" the throttle and it'll pick right up without hardly any bog.

It just makes an overall difference. Not so much in one certain area. It revs really quick, and helps keep the rpms up. I can't wait until our next riding trip in 2 weeks so I can really get a feel for it. I'm not much of a sand rider.......just likes to spin a lot. I couldn't even get out of 4th gear, so I can't wait to get out in the open and see how it pulls.:p I want to give a few 4-pokes a nice view of my rear grab bar.;)

Honda 250r 001
11-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Dang man now im super excited to get mine and get it bolted on. :D

What did you have to do to mount it? such as the coil and cdi box? Did you have to use some zip ties and black tape?

1promodfan
11-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
Dang man now im super excited to get mine and get it bolted on. :D

What did you have to do to mount it? such as the coil and cdi box? Did you have to use some zip ties and black tape?

My CDI just mounted right up to the mounting tab thats on my frame. As far as the coil, its mounted to my coil mount. I plan on getting an ESR billet coil mount next.

speedfreek
11-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I love my cr ignition. That tiny flywheel sure lets it rip up fast!

norcalduner
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
You can also kiss the entire wiring harness goodbye haha :D

Velvet-Casket
11-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Hey Norcalduner...Why do you say "you can kiss the harness goodbye"?

norcalduner
11-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Velvet-Casket
Hey Norcalduner...Why do you say "you can kiss the harness goodbye"?

Because you are not gonna be able to run any front or rear lighting together with the voltage regulator and the related handlebar mounted light switch. So if you take all that out of the equation, what is left is simply the cdi and a kill switch. And of course the coil.

Velvet-Casket
11-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Ok, yea i see what you mean. I was thinking maybe you were saying it is shot now cause he is running that ignition....Yea I would only get that if i had a drag only trx...I like to ride with lights...My uncle has an 86 Kawasaki tecate 3 that has a Kx 250 ignition and flywheel....His headlight option is out the window...but man that b*tch revs outta this world....:devil: I remember i did a quick run down my old road i lived on.... and when i backed off the throttle...i engaged the clutch and was rolling to get ready to turn around...and that engine would still rev every few seconds after letting off the gas...I was like dang this trike means business:scary:

Fear250r
11-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Yes, the cr ignitions are f'n awesome! I love mine.

brokenmike
11-08-2009, 07:22 AM
I got the cr250 ignition on my 86 trike. Man that thing is BAD. It revs super quick, and instant throttle response. No more waiting for powerband to kick in, it is there AS soon as i touch the throttle. 1 atc front wheel for sale... I dont need it as it never touches the ground.. HaHa

C-LEIGH RACING
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Just the changing over of that ignition system can make the engine feel like its ported different.
Bottom end to midrange it will seem like it pulls stronger & sooner off the bottom & jump to the pipe sooner.
It will turn a upper midrange port into almost a full drag port.
Neil

01shee
11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I have seen a few cr250 stators with lighting capibility. Has anyone tried one yet?

1promodfan
11-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Just the changing over of that ignition system can make the engine feel like its ported different.
Bottom end to midrange it will seem like it pulls stronger & sooner off the bottom & jump to the pipe sooner.
It will turn a upper midrange port into almost a full drag port.
Neil

Thats exactly how it felt.^^^^^ I was kinda lugging just barely on the pipe, and I just stabbed the throttle and it just come alive!! I was like "holy moly", this thing just ripped.:D I just can't wait to get the chance to open it up.

If anyone is thinking of getting one and is not sure if its worth getting, let me tell you GET ONE!!!:devil:

Honda 250r 001
11-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
Thats exactly how it felt.^^^^^ I was kinda lugging just barely on the pipe, and I just stabbed the throttle and it just come alive!! I was like "holy moly", this thing just ripped.:D I just can't wait to get the chance to open it up.

If anyone is thinking of getting one and is not sure if its worth getting, let me tell you GET ONE!!!:devil:

did you happen to talk to your friend about getting me one yet? :D lol

Oh any by the way, what year is your ignition?

1promodfan
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
did you happen to talk to your friend about getting me one yet? :D lol

Oh any by the way, what year is your ignition?

He don't have one, I thought he might. Mine is a 2001 ignition.

1promodfan
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
You know I still can't believe how easy it is to start with this thing. Hopefully no more bruised shin bones.:D

01shee
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Don't let it fool you. I still get kick back every so often on my 330.

dynofox
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 01shee
I have seen a few cr250 stators with lighting capibility. Has anyone tried one yet?

You are right, moose makes a stator that can run a 30w h4 bulb no problem. It won't be as good as the stock 55/60w bulb but if you really need a headlight there are options for it.

I installed a '00 CR 250 ignition on my R a few months ago and it was an awesome upgrade! Most of my riding is in tight woods and trails and I really like how much quicker it jumps onto the pipe now. I found you can still lug it some, not nearly as much as the stock ignition set up but it isn't nearly as bad as most make it out to be.

01shee
11-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I lug the crap out of mine when i get stuck behind the slower riders in my group. I have went miles and never get on the pipe. I would never have thought it would lug from what people say about it stalling and what not.

1promodfan
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I lug the crap out of mine when i get stuck behind the slower riders in my group. I have went miles and never get on the pipe. I would never have thought it would lug from what people say about it stalling and what not.

^^^^^^I agree 100%. I don't see any problems "lugging" around. Some people says that they stall real easy, mine hasn't stalled yet. And when I ride to get out to the place I ride, I just lug it in 1st gear with no problems.

Neil (C-Leigh Racing) told me that when I get one that I'll be kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I've been kicking for 3 days now!!!:D This thing is WELL worth getting.

86 Quad R
11-11-2009, 09:00 AM
i've personally never used one. do you think that it will be suited for the sand bar/creek conditions? i been thinking about trying one but would like to ride an R with one thats been tweeked first.

1promodfan
11-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
i've personally never used one. do you think that it will be suited for the sand bar/creek conditions? i been thinking about trying one but would like to ride an R with one thats been tweeked first.

I would think so. I kinda makes the motor feel like it has a little more bottom, I guess because it'll get up on the pipe sooner. I mean its not like "Oh My God" kind of difference. But its more of a all around difference. I'm very pleased with it.

chrisxuereb1978
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi, I just bought an 89 250r. What do I have to buy exactly? Do I buy an OEM CR Cdi and coil and does it have to be from a specific year or .............. Also, been having problems with oil leaking out of the counter balancer bearing holder, so much that the coil gets soaked and, obviously, the bile stoppes! Just had the bearings on the balancer replaced, just hope this solves it..... Any pointers?

Thanks

Honda 250r 001
11-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by chrisxuereb1978
Hi, I just bought an 89 250r. What do I have to buy exactly? Do I buy an OEM CR Cdi and coil and does it have to be from a specific year or .............. Also, been having problems with oil leaking out of the counter balancer bearing holder, so much that the coil gets soaked and, obviously, the bile stoppes! Just had the bearings on the balancer replaced, just hope this solves it..... Any pointers?

Thanks

to do this mod you must have ALL the componets from a 01 cr 250. Plus a stator adaptor plate.

As for the leak you got. Pull the 3 bolts out of the counterbalencer holder and replace the o ring.

dynofox
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
to do this mod you must have ALL the componets from a 01 cr 250. Plus a stator adaptor plate.

As for the leak you got. Pull the 3 bolts out of the counterbalencer holder and replace the o ring.

You can use many other year CR ignition set ups, I have a '00 ignition and it works great. The '00 is the same digital set up as the '01 with a slightly different ignition curve.

D Bergstrom
11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I have been thinking about switching to the CR ignition myself. My 200 watt stator just died, so I need to buy another anyway. I have a light setup, but I got to thinking and that last time I rode my 250R at night was almost two years ago, I usually take one of my 450R's out for a night ride. Figured I could buy another 200 watt stator later and could always convert back if I wanted to ride at night.

I noticed ESR has these for $569. I added up all the CR parts from Service honda and it was $512, then I would still need the adaptor plate. Looks like just buying the complete setup from ESR is the way to go, may just have to do it soon.

Doug

Fear250r
11-12-2009, 04:50 AM
You can usually find them used if you wait and get get 'em for around 300-350.

01shee
11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Look on ebay for it then by the plate.

D Bergstrom
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Fear250r
You can usually find them used if you wait and get get 'em for around 300-350.

I am sure if I was patient, you can find one for a good deal, problem is I am impatient! haha Also it seems like everyone wants these, so there is high demand when there is a used one for sale.

Plus I am not a fan of buying used electrical components, would rather buy new, that way I know they are in good shape.

Doug

chrisxuereb1978
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Ok. So all I need is the Coil, Stator and Cdi plus the adapter plate available from ESR! New to this :confused: From what I can see buying them used from ebay is the way to go if you're on a budget. I need to replace the balancer bearing carrier and saw a billet one from ESR..... One problem,the image on the website for the adapter plate and the image for the bearing holder is the same...... I know where the bearing carrier goes, cause i've taken it out a couple of times, but where does the adapter plate go?

Thanks guys:D

01shee
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
^^^^ you also need the coil. What i did was find someone selling a 01 stator and emailed them to see if they had the rest of the stuff i needed.

1promodfan
11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Look on ebay for it then by the plate.

Thats what I did^^^^and I got a great deal on my ignition ;)

chrisxuereb1978
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Found this stator, new for $99

http://www.midwestmoto.com/electrosport-ignitionlighting-stator--cr250.html

chrisxuereb1978
11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
!

chrisxuereb1978
11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.midwestmoto.com/electrosport-ignitionlighting-stator--cr250.html

chrisxuereb1978
11-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Would an 02' system work?

01shee
11-13-2009, 06:54 AM
No 02 and up are different.

chrisxuereb1978
11-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Anybody ordered from ESR lately? Been trying to place an online order for their billet Balancer Bearing holder and cannot seem to place the order. Must be some problem with their website. At the moment my bearing holder is holding in place with a plate my mechanic manufactured as the parts that hold it in place broke off

bushwesl
11-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by chrisxuereb1978
Anybody ordered from ESR lately? Been trying to place an online order for their billet Balancer Bearing holder and cannot seem to place the order. Must be some problem with their website. At the moment my bearing holder is holding in place with a plate my mechanic manufactured as the parts that hold it in place broke off

My experience with ESR is that you need to call them. I ordered from the them last week over the phone and got my parts 4 days later (CA to MI).

chrisxuereb1978
11-20-2009, 03:50 AM
Thanks, that what I thought.