PDA

View Full Version : Paint Questions

mikehada400ex
11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, I'm about to pick up another 400EX.

This time, i want to really get in there and do stuff like i never did on my last 400.

So, I'm thinking about painting the A arms,frame, etc. My question is, would powder-coating be more durable than paint?

Has anyone painted the engine and the paint actually stayed on, even when using engine block paint?

I assume everything could be painted/coated, but will it last?

jasonwayne222
11-08-2009, 12:35 PM
yes powdercoating is the way to go on the frame and arms, itll last way longer than reg. paint. And by painting the engine you mean the case i would assume. you dont want to ever paint the or head on any air cooled engine. its like putting a jacket on urself during the summer and trying to stay cool. heat needs to escape not be trapped.

Pipeless416
11-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
yes powdercoating is the way to go on the frame and arms, itll last way longer than reg. paint. And by painting the engine you mean the case i would assume. you dont want to ever paint the or head on any air cooled engine. its like putting a jacket on urself during the summer and trying to stay cool. heat needs to escape not be trapped.

:rolleyes:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287739&highlight=painted+the+engine

if i had the money i would have gotten the head moly coated. the cases are now pc'ed fwiw. there was NO appreciable difference in heat after being painted.

mikehada400ex
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Dang that looks good man.

Yeah I had concerns about the paint causing heat issues, but that's why I made this post.

So, powder coat frame, A-Arms things that will come in contact a lot. and just rattle can the engine, and whatever else.

flyboy1294
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
:rolleyes:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287739&highlight=painted+the+engine

if i had the money i would have gotten the head moly coated. the cases are now pc'ed fwiw. there was NO appreciable difference in heat after being painted.

Hey pipeless, I got a question, even if it is unintelligent . ;)

Did you totally disassemble the engine when you painted it? You didn't really clarify. Maybe it's common sense, I don't know. :confused: :confused:

Pipeless416
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
nope, just pulled it from the frame and plugged every thing i didn't want covered.

flyboy1294
11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
nope, just pulled it from the frame and plugged every thing i didn't want covered.

Whoa that seems easy enough. Why did you decide to go with powder coat instead of just paint?

Pipeless416
11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
Whoa that seems easy enough. Why did you decide to go with powder coat instead of just paint?

mud will bake onto the paint, and if a little drop of gas spills onto the engine.. byebye hard work. its just not as durable and it fades with time.

flyboy1294
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I see. How long did yours last?

jasonwayne222
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
well i live in louisiana and its hot as hell 9 months out of the year and i wouldnt put anything that would take away from the cooling capabilities, small amount of paint might not really make that biga difference tho, its kinda like comparing a pair of stock headers to ceramic coated headers, the coating keeps in the heat, i know thats way different then paint but the same theory

Pipeless416
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
I see. How long did yours last?

to tell you the truth, i don't really know because i kept touching it up wherever it needed it. when it all comes down to it, i don't know if i would do it again.

Originally posted by jasonwayne222
well i live in louisiana and its hot as hell 9 months out of the year and i wouldnt put anything that would take away from the cooling capabilities, small amount of paint might not really make that biga difference tho, its kinda like comparing a pair of stock headers to ceramic coated headers, the coating keeps in the heat, i know thats way different then paint but the same theory

so don't paint yours.

Honda#4
11-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I've painted lotz of parts on my quad and very few have chipped mainly just my swingarm due to having PC on it, but my arms look great even on the bottom.