PDA

View Full Version : 35mm A/S carb?

troybilt
11-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Where can you get one of these? I checked ESR website, no go. Any ideas?

troybilt
11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Never mind, guess you got to look under the Banshee stuff!

Is the 35mm AS carb a good XC setup? Would you prefer a 36mm?

Thanks,
Troy

Honda 250r 001
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I hear that the 35 is hard to tune. Do they make a 36 airstryker? if they do i would suggest that with the little knowledge that i have.

All250R
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
I hear that the 35 is hard to tune. Do they make a 36 airstryker? if they do i would suggest that with the little knowledge that i have.
Keihin Makes a PWK 35 and 36 quad vent. I can't remember if the 36 is an airstriker, but i want to say the intake fins are missing. It's been a while since I've seen one though. I imagine the 36 would be xlnt for XC, and work the type of power you want with porting and pipe. The 34 isn't a bad carb either if it's in good condition, but if you're going to get a different one, you may as well go more than 1 mm bigger, otherwise just use the 34 and tune the engine.

troybilt
11-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Here's the deal. My motor is basically stock, 0.010" over bore fresh top end. I'm going to go with a type 6 pipe or TRX7, leaning towards the type 6, boyesen rad valve. That's about it. Its an 89 so has the heavier flywheel. I want to build a great running, reliable little woods bike that I can fool around on. I've got other bikes that are built for dunes and MX. I also want to be able to lug it around in the tight technical sections. We have alot of woods/rocky trails around here to ride so this is going to be a bike built specifically for this terrain. Heavy skids, etc... build from frame up. I hear the 88/89 porting is good for XC already so wasn't planning on touching the porting. Any other suggestions? I've got 2 34 mm carbs, so I could just stick with one of those.

What gearing do you run for xc? 14, 13, 12 counter, 38,39 rear sprocket? Can you get a heavier flywheel than the 89?

THanks, Troy

dynofox
11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I've got 35mm A.S. carbs on both my '86 ATC 250r and '86 TRX 250r. I'm very pleased with them for xc / trail riding. Both carbs now have 152 mains and 42 pilots. The ATC is using the DEK needle on the 2nd clip and the TRX has the stock needle from the 34mm pj on the 3rd clip.

TRX mods: FMF fatty pipe, FMF Q silencer, air box has drilled holes in the lid with a pre-filter over them, UNI filter, boyesen rad valve, low / mid ported cylinder, '00 CR 250 ignition, 12/39 gearing and soon to come a cool head with 21cc dome and '85 ATC head gasket.

1promodfan
11-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by All250R
Keihin Makes a PWK 35 and 36 quad vent. I can't remember if the 36 is an airstriker, but i want to say the intake fins are missing. It's been a while since I've seen one though. I imagine the 36 would be xlnt for XC, and work the type of power you want with porting and pipe.

I had a 36 quadvent that I just sold. It didn't have the intake fins. I'm not sure if its still considered an Airstryker or not. I had it on my 310 and it worked great.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by troybilt
Here's the deal. My motor is basically stock, 0.010" over bore fresh top end. I'm going to go with a type 6 pipe or TRX7, leaning towards the type 6, boyesen rad valve. That's about it. Its an 89 so has the heavier flywheel. I want to build a great running, reliable little woods bike that I can fool around on. I've got other bikes that are built for dunes and MX. I also want to be able to lug it around in the tight technical sections. [QUOTE]

I think from my experience that I had with my 36 carb, you'd be pleased with it. I think it'll work great with your setup. It had great throttle response, and it seemed to work great in all RPM ranges. The only reason I changed is I got a good deal on a 38 A/S. It takes a little bit to get it dialed in, but once you do its just as smooth as butter.;)

MossboysRacing
11-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I race XC and my old motor was very similar to yours. I ran a 34pj that was bored to 36mm and it ran great. Had a 42 pilot and a 158 main. I still have it and the cylinder i ran it on for sale. I switched to a 310 and a 38A/S. I know a lot of people run a heavier flywheel so you can lug it in the tight stuff, but i run a Ricky stator lightened flywheel. i perfer the faster reving over the lugging. I personally run 12/39 gearing on 20" razr 2's

troybilt
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Where do you get a heavier flywheel? I guess I'm not that educated in this XC stuff. I've been more into drag racing and we went with lightened flywheels... :D

dynofox
11-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Where do you get a heavier flywheel? I guess I'm not that educated in this XC stuff. I've been more into drag racing and we went with lightened flywheels... :D

I suggest trying your stock flywheel before adding weight. The stock flywheel can be lugged pretty well. I've got a '00 cr 250 ignition in my R and the flywheel is 1/3 of the size the stock trx unit is, I personally like the quick revs of the lighter flywheel. Our trails are pretty tight, a lot of 1-3 gear riding and I've never had any issues with it stalling.

troybilt
11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I heard the 88/89 flywheel was heavier than the 86/87...? I also saw on a thread someone was running a 14 tooth counter sprocket for woods?? What gearing do most run?

Honda 250r 001
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks. I heard the 88/89 flywheel was heavier than the 86/87...? I also saw on a thread someone was running a 14 tooth counter sprocket for woods?? What gearing do most run?

85 atc flywheels were lighter than the 86-89 trx flywheels. All will interchange so you can mess around with the weight if you want. the 85 atc flywheleel was only 5 grams lighter i believe.

troybilt
11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks. I was actually interested in a flywheel that is heavier than the 89's... does anyone make one? or are they custom? I could get one weighted and turned. but would rather buy one already done. Just curious...

Honda 250r 001
11-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks. I was actually interested in a flywheel that is heavier than the 89's... does anyone make one? or are they custom? I could get one weighted and turned. but would rather buy one already done. Just curious...

you have to have a weight welded on the original flywheel. Ive seen one before you also have to run a 3/4 inch spacer plate under the stator cover or the flywheel will hit. I think the ignition i saw was a curtis sparks? Good luck finding one though.

bloodswet&gears
11-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
I've got 35mm A.S. carbs on both my '86 ATC 250r and '86 TRX 250r. I'm very pleased with them for xc / trail riding. Both carbs now have 152 mains and 42 pilots. The ATC is using the DEK needle on the 2nd clip and the TRX has the stock needle from the 34mm pj on the 3rd clip.

TRX mods: FMF fatty pipe, FMF Q silencer, air box has drilled holes in the lid with a pre-filter over them, UNI filter, boyesen rad valve, low / mid ported cylinder, '00 CR 250 ignition, 12/39 gearing and soon to come a cool head with 21cc dome and '85 ATC head gasket. on the trx, are you using a ceg needle or cgm? and how did it work out compared to the dek? will it idle without running the idle screw for the slide all the way up? i have a 35 as on mine trying to get right also. thanks in advance.

dynofox
11-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
on the trx, are you using a ceg needle or cgm? and how did it work out compared to the dek? will it idle without running the idle screw for the slide all the way up? i have a 35 as on mine trying to get right also. thanks in advance.

I'm not positive what the needle code is but it is the stock needle from my 34mm PJ. I've had better luck with this needle than the DEK, I was as lean as I could go on the DEK and still needed more. The spring behind the idle screw is very long, pull it off and cut a few coils off it and re-install. This will give you more idle adjustment.

Honda 250r 001
11-22-2009, 06:33 AM
I suggest trying your stock flywheel before adding weight. The stock flywheel can be lugged pretty well. I've got a '00 cr 250 ignition in my R and the flywheel is 1/3 of the size the stock trx unit is, I personally like the quick revs of the lighter flywheel. Our trails are pretty tight, a lot of 1-3 gear riding and I've never had any issues with it stalling.

the stock 250r flywheel is pretty damn heavy, 2 pounds something, compared to the cr flywheel at like 11 oz.

You can lug around a stock 250r pretty well, but your jetting has to be spot on, if you have and bog or hesitation in the bottom end you will not be happy at all.

bloodswet&gears
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not positive what the needle code is but it is the stock needle from my 34mm PJ. I've had better luck with this needle than the DEK, I was as lean as I could go on the DEK and still needed more. The spring behind the idle screw is very long, pull it off and cut a few coils off it and re-install. This will give you more idle adjustment. sorry bout the confusion on this post. i was researching 35 a/s carbs cause mines way off. it was on the bike when i bought it. i was trying to make a long story short cause some people dont spend time and read. i know my slow jet is wrong and i was reading you had a 42. mine is a 48 and i seen where someone was betting 5 bucks you need a 55 or 52 something like that. i was wandering if that made it where you could control the idle on the idle circuit or should you have went richer. i dont have a spring on the screw that holds the slide open. its plastic and the threads are so damaged that it doesnt move. heck, it dont even have a head on it. i was turning it with vise grips. mine has a good idle speed, but the screws way up. i know my needle is way off too. i thought i would be close with standard jetting. i think what 250r 001 is trying to tell me it wont rev fast enough with a stock flywheel to use a needle in the d-- range so im gonna order something like a ce- something and see what it does. on my slow jet it seems like if i gotta run my air screw out farther than 2.5 turns then a 48 is too rich. any help is appreciated.

dynofox
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
sorry bout the confusion on this post. i was researching 35 a/s carbs cause mines way off. it was on the bike when i bought it. i was trying to make a long story short cause some people dont spend time and read. i know my slow jet is wrong and i was reading you had a 42. mine is a 48 and i seen where someone was betting 5 bucks you need a 55 or 52 something like that. i was wandering if that made it where you could control the idle on the idle circuit or should you have went richer. i dont have a spring on the screw that holds the slide open. its plastic and the threads are so damaged that it doesnt move. heck, it dont even have a head on it. i was turning it with vise grips. mine has a good idle speed, but the screws way up. i know my needle is way off too. i thought i would be close with standard jetting. i think what 250r 001 is trying to tell me it wont rev fast enough with a stock flywheel to use a needle in the d-- range so im gonna order something like a ce- something and see what it does. on my slow jet it seems like if i gotta run my air screw out farther than 2.5 turns then a 48 is too rich. any help is appreciated.

I started with a 50 pilot and it was way too rich. What needle position are you at right now? I'm using the DEK needle in my '86 ATC 250r with great success but my TRX didn't like it. The CR ignition is a great upgrade, I've got the '00 set up on my TRX. Elevation plays a huge factor in jetting, I'm at 1000ft here in central upstate NY.

bloodswet&gears
11-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I started with a 50 pilot and it was way too rich. What needle position are you at right now? I'm using the DEK needle in my '86 ATC 250r with great success but my TRX didn't like it. The CR ignition is a great upgrade, I've got the '00 set up on my TRX. Elevation plays a huge factor in jetting, I'm at 1000ft here in central upstate NY. im gonna order a 42 pilot, maybe a few others. i like this carb so im gonna stick with it. ill order me a idle set screw and spring too in case that helps. as far as the needle it was a dgh and i went to a del. was a little better but still not close. im gonna try a cel or in that range. i think the tapers too steep on the d needles for a 240lb rider with a stock flywheel. seems to go too rich too fast. just not crisp as i want it. ill keep ya updated if you want? not many people using 35 a/s.

bloodswet&gears
11-22-2009, 04:46 PM
im gonna order a 42 pilot, maybe a few others. i like this carb so im gonna stick with it. ill order me a idle set screw and spring too in case that helps. as far as the needle it was a dgh and i went to a del. was a little better but still not close. im gonna try a cel or in that range. i think the tapers too steep on the d needles for a 240lb rider with a stock flywheel. seems to go too rich too fast. just not crisp as i want it. ill keep ya updated if you want? not many people using 35 a/s. forgot the clip question. started on the third moved it up to second clip. figured if it had to be on the top clip it wasnt even close. i would rather get it better before i start fine tuning the needle.

dynofox
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
You are on the right track by going to a leaner needle. Keep me posted on what works for you, enjoy! :cool: