PDA

View Full Version : 3 girls drowned in jeep

elite ATV1
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/women-drowned-trying-to-escape-sinking-jeep/article1351489/

250rAL
11-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Instead of opening a door or window you make a phone call? Cell phones give people a false sense of security.

Pappy
11-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
Instead of opening a door or window you make a phone call? Cell phones give people a false sense of security.

Thats what puzzled me as well.....

godzilla
11-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL

Its not as easy as you think to simply open a car door when you are submerged under water...and if the windows are electric, your **** outta luck there too...

Pappy
11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by godzilla
Its not as easy as you think to simply open a car door when you are submerged under water...and if the windows are electric, your **** outta luck there too...

True, and the one was a BIG girl from what i've seen so she werent as apt to throw a leg up and kick out a window. Was it a soft top?

godzilla
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
If the car is falling forward into the water, its difficult enough in a panic situation as water is rising quickly in the vehicle to climb over the seats and make your way to the back of the truck.

Not only this, but lets not forget that this happened in North Dakota and its November...the water was probably extremely cold and the minute it touches you, you quickly lose your breath. Ever jumpeed into a pool of really cold water?

Its easy to say just kick out a window, but it probably happened so fast that they were trapped before they could react.

It was a Jeep Cherokee with a hard top.

Pappy
11-06-2009, 08:34 AM

Its easy to say just kick out a window, but it probably happened so fast that they were trapped before they could react.

Thats the point...one of them had time to make a call. I would comment on how someone drives into a pond, but it appears they were off road, anything is possible if the area isnt well known. Crying shame in any event.

I was a Firefighter for the better part of 20 years, ive seen victims drowned in cars. Ive removed more windows with my fist and a center punch to know how difficult it can be...especially when faced with the scenario here. Drug a baby out that drowned in its car seat out when the car flipped in a rain filled ditch....mom dead beside him.

stever25
11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Ever see the mythbusters when they tried to kick out windows of a submerged car? It is impossible. Need a center punch or one of those little safety hammers with a point!!!!!! Once the pressure of the water is against the outside of the window you ain't breaking it by force.:(

HtFoxChick
11-06-2009, 10:37 AM
They were unfamilier with the area and came to a curve and drove right into the pond 12 feet deep.

I don't understand why they both called friends and not 911.

Even worse still, camera crews were their to capture the parents in their grief.:( I don't understand why they have to show that. A parents worse nightmare for all to see.

brian76708
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by stever25
Ever see the mythbusters when they tried to kick out windows of a submerged car? It is impossible. Need a center punch or one of those little safety hammers with a point!!!!!! Once the pressure of the water is against the outside of the window you ain't breaking it by force.:(

its also makes it easier if you hit the edge of the window.

11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
User error. 1 you drove into a pond. Yeah things happen you you may not know the area but really? If your that unaware of whats ahead then eiter slow down or dont drive. Also calling friends wont get you anywhere. Yeah the friends can call 911 but then they have to figure out where you are and make the process more difficult and time consuming. Sad to hear and I know people panic in situations like that but they probably could have made it out alive if they thought about whats happening. 911 is extremely helpful!

jcv400ex
11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but won't the door open after the pressure equalizes? I know you're talking about 3 freaked out highschool girls, but gosh. My worst fear is drowning.... :(

godzilla
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Correct me if i'm wrong, but won't the door open after the pressure equalizes? I know you're talking about 3 freaked out highschool girls, but gosh. My worst fear is drowning.... :(

By the time that happens (if it does), your lungs are so full of water, it game over already.

BLU82
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM
but it probably happened so fast that they were trapped before they could react.

So they had no time to roll down the window before the car filled with water, but had enough time to call someone with their cell phone?:confused: I realize they were panicking, but it seems like they had some very bad decision making.

Pappy
11-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
So they had no time to roll down the window before the car filled with water, but had enough time to call someone with their cell phone?:confused: I realize they were panicking, but it seems like they had some very bad decision making.

Panic makes folks do strange things......ive seen people run towards danger!

Black Sheep
11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex

it's not a matter of equalizing the pressure. it's matter of trying to move that much water that needs to be moved in order to open a door and the pressure that much water puts on the door.

here is some interesting information on escaping a sinking car.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/02/07/giesbrecht-cars.html

http://sites.google.com/site/getoutaliveorg/

250rAL
11-06-2009, 09:27 PM

I once saw a car almost completely submerged in water and the wipers were running. I watched another car that had rolled into the river and it took over a minute to sink. There would be time to immediately roll down a window.