PDA

View Full Version : 400Ex Rear Brake Caliper on Cobra?

ejmoan1
11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I would like to change out my Son's rear cobra brake caliper for a something better (I have heard Honda 400Ex or 450R). I would love it if I could change the master cylinder, brake line and rear caliper. Anyone done this before and have any ideas for me? It would be greatly appreciated. His quad is a cobra 2007 ECX 70 with a stock swing arm.

Thanks
Jay

mxkids
11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Jay,

In order to put a Honda caliper on a cobra you would have to modify the brake stay plate and the position pin. The rotor will also have to be machined smaller. As for as master cylinder and line the line is the same as every 450 out there. I am not sure what you could put on the front other than stock. The stock rear master cylinder already has a 12mm piston which is the same size as a 450. If you need more info feel free to give me a call anytime.

Brandon Tittle
256-766-4789

TRI-Z3
11-06-2009, 04:22 AM
We have a 450 rear rear brake set up on the rear and he likes it . very easy to change rear pads works great!! happy to send some pictures if it would help. Brandon can walk ya through it also

hisi
11-06-2009, 04:51 AM
You do not have to machine down disc if you use the Honda caliper bracket that is used to hold the caliper on. Its the same size as the Cobra. I used the stock brake, master cylinder and line. The honda master cylinder is wider and your kick starter will hit. Plus the bolt holes do not line up with the smaller cobra cylinder, so you would have to modify how it is bolted.

ejmoan1
11-07-2009, 08:11 PM
I appreciate the advice from you guys. I was about to pay 128 bucks to replace the cobra rear caliper and I knew I would be better off going with the honda version. I have rebuilt the cobra one (pistons seals and o-ring) but it did not solve my problem. I decided to stop fighting with it. BTW, Brandon, I met your wife at Loretta's (found me a trottle cable) and was very nice. Thanks for your willingness to help. I am going to throw on a JB a-arms and plan on doing the same thing to the front end as it relates to brakes. I am hoping I can use 450 front spindles and brake calipers and rotors on the front as well. Any ideas or issues on front e-end would be appreciated as well. I am assuming 450r over 400. Do you guys agree?
Regards,
Jay

heathmxracing
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Jay,

hisi is corect you do not have to machine anything and this set up works great. Just use the stock Honda stuff.

I would personally stay away from the JB stuff (way too heavy). There is a few other options available, give me a call sometime and I will give you more info.