PDA

View Full Version : rifle guys... need your help on my winchester modle 70

woodsracer144
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
ok so i just got this modle 70 winchester 30-06 sprinfeild black synth... it was a banquet gun and was never fired... i paid 485.?? otd with a bushnell scoope and rings and a bore site... need less to say i got a really good deal i think...
any ways i start to sight it in the little time i had and at about 25 yards i was about 3 inches to the right and 3 inches low then i got it to be about a inch low and a little to the left not much

i pushed it to about 50 yrds and i was about 4 inches low and it went one on the right about 4 inches over and 3 low then it was about 2 to the left and then it went right back over by the fist round about 4 to the right...( i fired 3 rounds and it went right left right)
i was laying down flat on the ground shooting down a hill with no bumps so the bullet was stopped at the bottom of the hill... it was about a 60 yrd hill... i had the rifle on a sand bag to hold it up and to make every shot as close to the same as i did the one before..
in 3 rounds i couldnt get it to raise up at all when it was about 50 yrds away... on the adjustments it says one click = 1/4 inch at 100yds i had to turn it about 8 clicks (2inches) to get it to to the left at my first 3 rounds at about 20 yrds...

they way i see if if your moving a 1/4inch at 100 yds you should be at a half inch per click at 50 yrds and 3/4 in inch per click at 25 yds

its my first rifle... i've never used a scoop on a HP rifle i used a rem. .35 for about 4 years now and im tird of askin my uncle to use it so i got this... that .35 was a really nice gun i really liked it i just didnt like having to ask and not own it...
i've fired 8 rounds tonight and 2 out of the 8 im not sure where they went... in on the holes looked like it hit is again alittle out side of it but not much and then im not sure about the other one...

i just dont under stand why i wont rise up... i dont wanna say im a cheap mother ****er but these shells were $$ and i dont want to shoot 2 boxes of them to get it right... i would like to at most have to use a box... i've fird 60 rounds so far...

Hornady 30-06 sprng 165 gr SST inter lock

then its got a chard for the drop and all that and its

Muzzle 100yds 200yds 300yds 400yds
2800FPS +1.8" 0.0" -22.8" 46.2"

another thing i noticed with these shells is on the bullet its self there is the little knochest that run vertical with it and normally the set the bullet in the case so you dont see them...
these are raised up a little so you can see it on them all..

alot of the people by me do this when they reload them so its closer to the rifleing

Thanks for any and all your help...

ZeroLogic
11-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Make sure the scope and rings and bases are tight. You got a Pos scope no offense. Use the same ammo and head weight all the time. Do not rest the rifle on the barrel.

I do leave the cannelure up beyond the neck of my brass when I reload.

Try setting up the rifle on a bench and sitting. Rest the sandbag on the forearm of the stock. Take your time. Gently squeeze the trigger. Have someone there with you to see where you are hitting. Adjust to need be. Ignore the clicks if it ain't working. Try turning it 10 or 15 clicks, does that make a difference? Make sure you are turning it the right way.

You should also try different weight bullets.

IMO, I'd junk the scope and get a Leupold.

Guy400
11-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
IMO, I'd junk the scope... I second this. To be 3" off at 25 yards with a rifle is insane. You could throw a rock and be more accurate at that distance.

Pappy
11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Sounds ike your bullet is still on the rise at that close distance. If its 3 inches high at 50 yards, you will be close at 100 or possibly even higher at 100. The bullet rise from the muzzle with a scope will not match by just your percieved adjustments at 25 or 50 yards.

Also let the barrel cool, thats alot of rounds per sight in with a lightweight barrel, and ofcourse check that the scope and bases are tight.

Those ridges are fine, worry more about proper shooting technique and SLOW down with the firing time. 3 rounds, let it cool.

woodsracer144
11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
alrighty... i think i just gotta go to a range with more room for me to use...

i just think the scope markings are way off and i just have to turn it about 15 clicks...

i also took my time when i would shoot... fire one unload go check lay back down get comphy load round relax breath relax then would fire and then look and try to find where i hit and then unload round...

Pappy
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
fire 3 shot groups, not singles. start back at 25 yards and do not move out any further until you have the bullets hitting exactly where you want them. Then to 50, then 100.

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Go to the range where you can start at 25 yd and work your way out to 100yd.
A bullet will rise first then start to fall. Here is a chart.
The black line is your line of site from the scope and the red line is the bullet path. you'll see the bullet will pass the site plain on the way up and on the way down.
The 1/4" adjustment on a scope is at 100yd so as you get closer in the ajustment changes. at 50 yd 1 click will only move it 1/8" and at 25yd 1 click is 1/16". Sometimes you have to shim a scope to get it where you need it to be.
Use a bench rest and bag it up real good so all you have to do is lean over and squeeze the triger.

http://i37.tinypic.com/9zpwt5.jpg

Here is a 10 shot groop at 100yd with my winchester 94 .357mag lever gun with , 170gr FMJ with 15.5gr H-110

http://i38.tinypic.com/vren0l.jpg

slightlybent47
11-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Another tip:

Bag up the rifle on the bench so the cross hairs are dead on the bull’s eye and you can just let sit there without holding it. Set up so all you have to do is lean over and look through the scope and not touch the gun. Now look through the scope and you’ll see that as you move your head around the cross hairs will move around on the bull’s eye. This has a name but I can’t think of what it’s called, it has something to do with the optics in the scope. The better scopes are not as bad. This will make a big deference in the accuracy of your shot. So make sure you snuggle up to the gun the same way every time you shoot.

slightlybent47
11-06-2009, 12:44 AM
[i]

another thing i noticed with these shells is on the bullet its self there is the little knochest that run vertical with it and normally the set the bullet in the case so you dont see them...
these are raised up a little so you can see it on them all..

alot of the people by me do this when they reload them so its closer to the rifleing

Thanks for any and all your help... [/B]

The depth that the bullet is seated in the casing? I think that what you mean here.
This dose several things: If you load two identical shells and seat one deeper then the other then the presser in the one that is seated the deepest will have more chamber prissier and effect the accuracy of the load.
And the other reason all loads are suppose to be the same length is that many auto loaders are sensitive to different length shells and some will jam if they are not the same length. As long as they are all the same and they chamber ok then there fine.

Your reload book will have the standard length for each load.

woodsracer144
11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
well i'm goin to the range on sunday... i'll see what i can get done... my back is killin me today from the 8 rounds i shot last night and i cant take it... in 06 i hit a big oak on my blaster in 4 tapped( long story how it happened) but i never went in to the doc and my back is buggin me now i just go in to the chiro to get adjusted alot and all that... im gonna have to go there today or tomorrow...