PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Polaris Sportsman...........

Dr. Righteous
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Newbie here. And really new to ATVs in general. I had some time riding the first gen Honda 250 4wheelers back in the 80s when I was a kid, but that was it.

I'm an Jeep/Truck offroad guy and avowed never to go over to the "dark side" and become a ATV rider. I stayed resolute but my buddies abandoned me.
All the guys I use to wheel with have since quit all together or have gone to wheeling ATVs. Why? The answer was it makes wheeling FUN and not nerve racking.
I can't argue that point. If you wheel your truck or Jeep on challenging trails, breaking it is always an issue to worry about.

So I started browsing the ATV for sale adds and finding that now seems to be a great time to buy.
From the reading of reviews I have done, I have settled on a Polaris Sportsman as the ATV for me.
500 or a 800 would suit me since I will be taking my boy with me on wheeling trips and will probably get him his own ATV when he gets older.
The Sportsman 800 is appealing to me one, because I'm a big guy, and 2 because it has a 1500 lbs tow capacity. That would be really handy pulling a small trailer around the farm.
But still the 500 really should be more than enough power.

So lay it on me. What do you guys think. About Polaris in general?
I'm not interested in racing, but trail riding an utility.

troybilt
11-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I've owned a several Polaris sportsman ATVs and also owned a RZR and now Ranger XP. I've got lots of experience with Polaris utilities. My first was an 87 trailboss back in the early 90's. They are great utility atvs, comfortable and very trail worthy. I've also owned jeeps too and recognize the difference. Have you thought about a Polaris RZR? They are awesome on jeep trails and won't break the bank either. I just sold mine for 7850, so you can pick used ones up for about as much or less than new sportsman 800's. They are quite a bit safer it you are riding double, plus they have a cage. I assure you they'll go anywhere a quad can go, and in many respects more fun. I took mine out to Colorado and drove up Wheeler trail. They are comfortable to ride as well. Just thought I'd add that. Either way, the sportsman are great. If you stick with quads, you might opt for the 550 sportsman XP, they handle better than the macpherson strutt 500's and 800's.

troybilt
11-05-2009, 05:29 PM
BTW, welcome to the forum!

bertmeister
11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I bought a 2009 Sportsman 500 H.O in and my wife has a 2008 Sportsman 400. We have about 300 miles on each and have had no problems.

Dr. Righteous
11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. :)

One thing that drew me to Polaris is that the independent suspension, more complex, but delivers a very nice ride. I'm in my early 40s now and taking a beating riding a ATV wasn't appealing.
Foolishly enough when was young I fell for things like "Your're young and strong, you move this piano" :rolleyes:
Yeah, it was me on one end, 3 guys on the other end. Believe me if I'm not careful when I'm actively doing something I can throw my back out and be in pain for days. I'm checked a couple local ads but I missed out one some good deals on Sportsmans. The economy is forcing a lot of people to give up their toys and ATVs is one.