PDA

View Full Version : Polishing/Cleaning bolts and misc hardware

troybilt
11-05-2009, 06:36 AM
What do you guys/gals do to polish or clean up the hardware on a rebuild? Surely you don't buy all new bolts...? I had an idea about using one of those case polishers that they use for cleaning bullet cases when reloading. You think that would work?

k10seibel
11-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey, Troy. I try to get the used hardware real clean (degreased). Then blast them with crushed walnuts in my smaller blast cabinet. Wallnuts will not harm the factory zinc or chromate finishes. If they come out near new, then I reuse them, but if not, then they go in the replating coffee can for future use if the threads and head are real good still. Replating can, in some cases, be just as much $ as buying new OEM hardware. For some projects though, I like to go with the old school yellow di-chromate look, so replateing is a must. I'm kind of picky, so OEM bolts ONLY, no aftermarket kits, or hardware store stuff. Sometimes reordering OEM items is just the most economical, believe it or not.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705109.jpg

TLR-Online
11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705109.jpg

I use pretty much the same setup.

Sometimes i will just use drill with a wire wheel.

All250R
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Mother's polish works wonders on the chrome style bolts. It's safe on the bolts too and doesn't take too much effort. The new OEM ones are cheaper quality and don't have the chrome look to them anymore it appears...

troybilt
11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
This may be a stupid question but can you by an OEM bolt "kit"? I didn't want to scower thru the microfiche and pick every bolt out. Of course, I don't need every bolt but if could buy the new bolts in kit or something, that would save alot of time.

Nobody's tried using one of those bullet case polishers that are used for reloading bullets? I think those would work great, but don't want to buy one if not. Like 150 bucks...